Mount Warning

Hi All

This is meant to be the prologue to Sasha's story, it takes place some time after Rosy's disappearance

I thought I would share it as a bit of a teaser for Sasha's story.

Mygypsy

Sasha;

I walk slowly, one step after another. The ground rises before me but I don't look up, I keep my eyes on the ground. The trail had ended some time ago but here and there I imagine I could see blades of grass bent or broken as if someone had come this way only yesterday. I pause when the ground evens out, I lift my head and glance around with a faint stirring of curiosity. Birds were singing in the tree at the base of the rocky hillside, their noise disturbing the silence I wanted, needed.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" My words poured from me almost hysterically. I sobbed in a breath and turned away from the tree and the birds that refused to stop their songs. Below me the valley lay out before me, lush and green. Slowly I sink to the ground, tears streaming down my cheeks. I grasped hands full of the grass that covered the ground in a thick mat even though the grass wasn't long. A gentle soothing sensation flows into my tightly clenched hands and I release my tight hold on the blades of grass as I close my eyes and sink my hands into the soft carpet beneath them.

I feel the pulse of the land beneath my palms and force my breathing into a slow even rhythm as I open myself to feel my land as she had taught me. I can feel the life that thrives on this land and in the background I can feel the power of the Mountain that stands silent in the distance. I reluctantly open my eyes but refuse to look around as my land eases the pain that burns in my heart. The core of the Mountain can be seen clearly in the fading light and I can't look away even though I know I should be heading back to the house that waits below the hill.

The songs around me gradually change as the shadow of the hill behind me creeps past where I sit heralding the coming of night. Cricket songs replace bird songs and cicadas begin to add their voices. Stars are becoming visible against the night sky but still I sit where I am absorbing the comfort from my land. The faint trace of rain kisses my skin, the slight breeze stirring the hair against my shoulders as I watch the distant flickering of sheet lightning in the clouds gathering around the Mountain.

I am not surprised when I hear my name whispered in my mind, the Mountain often calls reminding me I belong to more than just this valley. Pain washes over me as I feel her name called. I clench my teeth biting back to urge to scream at the Mountain, to tell it of how they are saying maybe they should be searching for a body, a corpse. I can feel its pain, its longing for the one who is a part of the Majesty of the Mountain. My fingers curl in the grass pulling at the green blades, there is silence for a few moments then I feel the strong call ripple out again.

Ro-zee, Ro-zee ...

"Sasha?"

I turn my head reluctantly at his voice, I can see his shadowy form as he makes his way up towards me.

"Sasha?"

"I'm here Clint," I find myself responding to his softly spoken enquiry. He doesn't say anything as he sits down beside me, he puts his arm around my shoulders and holds me against his side. His presence wraps around me soothing me like a healing balm and my heart swells with love for this quiet tom who has been such a rock for me these past few months. I wrap my arm around his waist and cuddle close, resting my head against his shoulder.

"Your mother's starting to get worried about you,"

Again the strong call ripples out and I can almost feel it travelling away into the distance. Beside me Clint shivers and lifts his head from where his cheek had rested against the top of my head.

"Come on, " He urges as he gets to his feet. "Lets get you back to the Homestead before you catch a chill."

I find myself giving the ground a soft pat before reaching for the hand Clint holds out to help me to my feet. As we slowly walk down towards the building below every now and then I glance up towards the Mountain. Its calls have stopped for now and I can feel its loneliness. I pause for a moment as I gaze at the dark silhouette against the star-studded night sky, it hits me with a certainty I can't explain. The Mountain is not mourning her, it is merely waiting for her to return.

I know I don't understand her Mountain the way she did ... no the way she does, but I get it now, I understand what the Mountain has been trying to tell me.

 My sister isn't dead.