Chapter Two

Chapter Two What If?

A Walking Dead Fanfiction

The next morning, Lori and Carol made quick work of piling the blankets back up, throwing the empty boxes and water bottles in the woods by the cars, and changing the children back into their day clothes. Ed was still asleep. As usual, he wouldn't wake up until late.

"Sophia, want to play tag?" Carl asked.

"Sure," she said shyly. She didn't know the Grimes very well, but they seemed like nice enough people...

"You're it!" He called, tapping her shoulder gently, and weaving around the parked vehicles.

"Stay by the car you two," Lori warned.

"Ok mom!" Her son called.

The kids ran around the car, until the women and Shane saw helicopters flying above, towards the city.

"Kids, get in the car," Shane instructed.

"Aw, common!" Carl grumbled. "We just started playing!"

"Listen to him!" Lori yelled. "Get in the car!"

Obediently, Sophia climed into the Grime's car, and with a sigh, Carl did the same. Now, Ed was awake too, and was staring at the helicopters.

They saw the bombs, heard the noise, and watching the yellow, red and orange poof up above the buildings that were once a city.

All the other groups groaned and grumbled about how they weren't going to get to the city, got in their cars, and started to drive away.

"I suggest we go on foot through the woods," Shane said.

"How long will we have to walk?" Ed asked.

"Probably a few miles."

"Ugh. Common, we're turning around."

"That's not the smartest idea. We know that there's definatly walkers back there, and we don't know what's ahead. We could find a shelter."

"Whatever," he muttered. "You two, gather the suppiles. There's some backpacks over there." He said, pointing to three backpacks jay a young couple with a baby dropped. They were in too much if a hurry to notice that they dropped them.

"Yes Daddy," she said, helping her mother pack up the suppiles.

"Aren't you going to take a bag?" Shane questioned, as he watched the two weak girls struggle to carry the bags themselves.

"I have a bad back," he lied. "But don't worry. They're fine," he snapped. "Right Sophia?"

"Right," she said, afraid to look in his eyes.

"Alright then... let's get going then."

Shane lead the way, with Lori and Carol behind him, the two children following their mothers, and Ed supervising everyone.

"Here, let me help you with that," Carl offered his new friend, reaching out to take the obviously heavy bag.

"She's got it!" Her father snapped, causing the other members of the group to turn around.

"Obviously she doesn't," Lori said, finally standing up for the Peletier girls. "Your wife and daughter are struggling, and you're not doing anything to help."

"Because I can't!" He lied again, yelling at the poor woman.

"It's fine Lori," Carol tried to reassure her.

"No, it's not. I'll take one bag, and Carl can help carry the other."

Without asking for Ed's permission, she snatched the backpack, and Sophia handed Carl the other. They walked like that for the rest of the way. She would put the bag on her back, then an hour later Carl would take a turn. This went on for about three hours, then they came upon a campsite, set up with one RV, and many little tents around it.

"Hello," a friendly, older man said. He had on a fishing cap, and a unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt. "Are any of you folks bitten?"

"No, none of us are," Shane said.

"Well then, come and join us. All are welcome. I'm Dale."

"It's nice to meet you Dale," Lori said. "I'm Lori, and this is my son, Carl, and our friend, Shane. This is Carol and Ed Peletier, and their daughter, Sophia."

"Well, you should probably meet everyone else too. That's Andrea and Amy down at the quarry, Glenn's keeping watch up on the RV, that's Jaquie and Jim over there, the couple at the picnic table is Morales and his wife, Miranda, and their two children, Eliza and Louis, and that only leaves the Dixons. My you'll meet them eventually."

"Thank you for letting us stay here," Carol said.

"Like I said before, we welcome everyone. Anyways, you should probably set up a tent for yourselves. The spare ones are over there."

"Thank you so much," Lori said.

They walked over to where Dale had pointed, and grabbed the suppiles that they would need, and choose the area by the quarry.

"How about you kids go play in the water, or with the others?" The darker haired mother suggested.

"Sophia, you can't go anywhere until you help your mother," Ed demanded.

"Yes Daddy," she said.

The Peletier's, minus Ed, made quick work of putting up the tent, not wanting the leader of the house, or tent, to get upset with them. Carl just watched, trying to stay out of his mother and Shane's way. Eventually, he decided to get sleeping bags for the group. He carefully selected a small blue one for Sophia, assuming that she liked the color, because of her shirt.

"Thanks," she smiled at him, unrolling it in her new 'home'.

"Hi, I'm Glenn," a Korean boy said, coming over to them.

"I'm Shane, and this is Carl, Lori, Ed, Carol and Sophia."

"I know. Dale told us. Anyways, I'm taking a trip into town. Do you guys need anything?"

"Maybe some extra pillows and blankets, if it's not too much to ask," Lori said.

"Not at all. What about you guys?" He asked, motioning to Ed and Carol.

"No. We don't need any handouts," Ed almost screamed.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said, then made his way back to the RV.

"Can you go play now?" Carl asked.

"Go," Ed dismissed them rudly. Sophia ran away behind the boy, glad to be getting away.