Chapter 12

12.

“You are a child of the devil, a spoiled, good for nothing willful brat,” Hannah was standing over Rhea like a mountain. Even I was scared. Yet Rhea still kept her back straight and looked Hannah in the eye. “What do you have to say for yerself?”

“I know more than that stupid schoolteacher.”

“Well, aren’t you a smart one? You think you can stay under our roof, eat our food, then act like that with our neighbors?”

“I can act however I want!”

“No, you cannot.” Her voice made pots rattle. “Not when you’re in our house. Not when you’re under my care.”

“Then I’ll go. We’ll go!” She glanced back at me, her eyes all fire, but I kept poker faced. I didn’t want to get her any madder.

“You aren’t going anywhere. I told Johnny we’d take care of you and we will even if we have to tie a leash around your neck.”

“No one leashes me.” Rhea’s shoulders twitched. It looked like she were about to change.

“I’m the grown up here. And you’ll listen to me.”

“Never,” Rhea snarled.

Rhea, I shot the thought to her. Careful. What was into her lately? All snarls and no thinking.

But she shrugged my thought off.

“YOU WILL LISTEN!” Hannah’s voice actually seemed to be shaking the rafters. She reached out and I wanted to shout no, no, because all it would take was one touch and Rhea would be shifting and biting and snarling.

Hannah clamped a huge hand on Rhea’s shoulder and my sister’s lips curled, she let out a snarl and began to loop, eyes widening, ears going back, getting longer. Hannah stared right down at her. “Be still, child,” she said and this time her voice was a soft whisper. “You don’t have to show me your wolf heart. I know that your mother is dead. I know that your father is dead. And that you are most likely acting this way because of those things happening.”

Rhea had stopped mid shift, her eyes widened.

“You loved them. That’s a fact. They were good parents. Strong, I bet. You’re a good daughter. But you don’t have to be angry here. In my house you are safe. Do you hear me Rhea? You are safe here. Whatever, whoever comes to that door looking for you or your brother will have to come through me. This is a second home. You are safe.”

Rhea’s ears had shortened, she looked more human.

“You are a good daughter,” Hannah repeated. “Your ma and pa must have been very proud of you.” Hannah hadn’t removed her hand. “I want you and me to come to an understanding. I am not your mother. But I will feed you and fight for you. And all I ask in return is that you respect my wishes. Do you understand?”

Rhea nodded. She had a look on her face I’d rarely seen. Remorse, maybe. Shock, certainly.

Hannah suddenly pulled her into a hug and to my surprise Rhea didn’t yank herself away. “You’re a good one,” Hannah said, stroking Rhea’s hair. “You’ve got a good heart.”

Hannah looked up at me. “You too, Rom. You’re under my protection. I don’t give it out lightly. You’re the quiet type ain’t ya? But if you ever want to talk, you spit the words out. I’ll listen. You two been through more in the last while than most experience in a lifetime. You’re strong.”

I just stood there. I didn’t feel strong. I was shaking.

She let Rhea take a step back. Her face was a little red. She hadn’t been crying, but something had shifted. Hannah put a hand under her chin. “You’re a beautiful girl, in your own way. I want you to go to school. I want you two to fit in because you’ll be safer that way. Sure, you know more than the teacher. I know outhouses smarter than that one. But there’s still stuff for you to learn. And you might even make a few friends.”