REPUTATION | II

Nate stood outside the professor's office, back against the wall, waiting for you to come out. Hearing the door open, the boy immediately looked at you and a smile formed on his lips. You were caught off guard but went along regardless.

"I'm Nate Archibald" he introduced himself, stretching his hand for you to shake. Not a single soul in Constance wasn't aware of his existence. You had seen him several times, but the only interaction you had ever had was when he bumped into you by accident. All your books fell off your hands that day, and you were left alone to pick them up, seeing nothing but the silhouette of the golden boy vanish in the hallway whilst you were down on your knees. But you were sure he didn't remember that moment - he probably didn't even noticed he had bumped into someone, in the first place. But all that was in the past. You shook his hand and introduced yourself.

"Do you want to go grab a coffee?" he asked, flashing you the sort of smile that would melt any girl's heart. You failed to hide your surprise when hearing such question but Nate found your reaction quite amusing. You remained quiet for a while, unsure of what his actual intentions were. It was hard to believe someone like him would, out of the blue, ask you out and not want something in return.

Nate observed you carefully, mentally guessing what was holding you back. He was aware of his reputation, but he had already lost the school's help, he couldn't lose yours too. "Please say yes. It's school-related" he assured, proving you it was nothing like what you were picturing in your head. You nodded, accepting his offer. After all, it was nine in the morning, you sure could use a coffee.

*

"Where are you applying to?" Nate asked, as a conversation starter, when you both left the coffee store and began walking down the avenue, warming your hands with the heat provided by the freshly brewed coffee. New York sure was cold that April. "Princeton" you answered, "How about you?". 

"Apparently Dartmouth" he said, in a rather unconvincing way. You raised an eyebrow and Nate understood what you meant "My father really wants me studying there" he clarified, running his fingers through his air. You picked up on that gesture of his and adding that to the tone in which he was speaking, Dartmouth wasn't his decision, at all. "You don't seem to want to study there-" you said, reading him like a book,  and gazing into his eyes. The way the sunlight hit his face made his blue eyes sparkle, shining brighter than usual. But they seemed unhappy.

Nate sighed and drank some more coffee before answering "I can't really bother to talk about that right now, I am sorry. Let me, instead, just tell you why you are here" Nate said, with a warming smile.

"I really need to ace the SATs" Nate began, as you sat on a bench "But I don't know how to study, I really can't stand some subjects, but my grades aren't the finest and those exams are my last hope of saving them-".

You interrupted him with a smile "And you need help" you said, already guessing the end of his speech. Nate nodded, confirming your thoughts. "You know we are only two weeks away from the exams, right?" you asked, barely believing he was only now worrying about it.

 "Then I suppose we have a lot of work to do. Today at Archer's Cafe, 3 PM"

*

"Where are you going?" Shay, your roommate, asked, as it was rather unusual for you to leave your house on Tuesdays. You shared it with Shay and another girl, Tess - the rent was cheaper when split. Despite rarely seeing Tess, you and Shay had become great friends and being at the same class in Constance sure helped.

You smiled, putting some books on your bag "Just helping a guy study for the SATs". Shay's eyes widened as she turned off the sound of the television, clearly wanting to know more "A guy? What guy? Is he from St. Jude?". Her excitement amused you "His name is Nate Archibald" you answered.

Shay's smiled turned into a frown when hearing that name "You should be careful with him!" she warned. You stopped packing and looked her in the eyes "What do you mean?" you asked, wondering how much she knew about him. "Where do I begin-" she sighed, laying down on the couch "For starters, he dated Blair Waldorf - that one kind of speaks for itself. Also, Gossip Girl says he slept with half Manhattan after they broke up, do you really want to be just another name on his list? Then, and this has to be the worst: this father is in jail! Do you really want to be involved in that scandal? Involved with that family?".

You listened to her, quietly. It was no lie that Nate had a long list of conquers, but you were only helping him study. How would that end up in a romantic relationship? After the SATs, when you two went to a different university, you'd surely never see each other again. And regarding his family, you had nothing to do with that and helping him surely didn't make you an accomplice of a crime.

"With all due respect Shay-" you started, grabbing your bag as well as the keys to the house "You don't really know Nate. You shouldn't be talking about him like that. And his family has nothing to do with me. Plus, I am only helping him study, I am not signing a contract to be a part of his life forever" you said with a smile. The last thing you wanted was to argue with Shay about some boy you'd just met so it was more than time for you to go.