THE PLAN | I

"I'm sorry, Mr. Archibald, but there really is nothing we can do now. You should have been concerned about your poor grades throughout the school year, not just a couple weeks away from the SATs!" the Rights and Laws professor, Mr. Trinhall, said, tired of having students only worrying when it's clearly too late. But Nathaniel Archibald wasn't having it. As his life was collapsing right in front of his eyes, the last thing the golden boy needed was another problem.

"My father was arrested! My mother is upstate doing God knows what, and you're telling me this school can't help me study for a single subject?" Nate objected, louder than he anticipated, running his fingers through his hair - something he did whenever nervous.

"And we're terribly sorry about your situation. Yet, it doesn't excuse your lack of interest throughout the year. Most of our students have high perspectives, they want to apply for an Ivy League university. Both Constance and St. Jude want their top students to do their best in the SATs so they can go to the university they aspire. The others, such as yourself, who want to go from a D to a C, should have thought about it long before these exams. It's time for you to learn a couple of things about responsibility and independence, Mr. Archibald. Not everything in life will be handed to you. You may go now!".

Leaning back in his chair, Nate didn't know what others cards to pull. He knew he wasn't exactly the prototype of a good student, but he sure thought the school would provide some sort of help. On a normal day, the institution wouldn't think twice about helping a family as powerful and influential as the Archibalds, but the tables turned the moment the Captain was arrested and Nate knew he could no longer rely on the privileges he used to have.

A sudden knock on the door surprised both men inside. "Am I interrupting?" you asked, opening the door just a smidge, but enough for the professor to recognize you. The frown on his face turned into a smile the moment he set his eyes on you, the pride of Constance. Nate peeked at the door, surprised to not recognize your face - those who don't make it to Gossip Girl's radar go practically invisible.

"Not at all! I was expecting you!" Mr. Trinhall said, grabbing a piece of paper from his desk "Your essay has to be one of the most brilliant perspectives about the civil rights that I've ever read! Hope you don't mind but I saved a copy of it to myself". Nate glanced over it, eyes widening when seeing it marked with an A+. You began turning slightly red, as receiving compliments wasn't your strong suit. "I'm glad!" you answered, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear - something you did whenever embarrassed -, hand slightly trembling when receiving back the paper.

If only you had noticed the boy sitting by your side the whole time, observing you carefully.

"You're still here, Mr. Archibald? Please, go!" the professor ordered, almost forgetting there was a third person inside. Nate glanced at you one last time whilst getting up, smirking as he'd just come up with a plan.