Chapter One

I'm not usually a light sleeper. I'm not a morning person.

Some would so its sometimes nearly impossible to get me out of bed before noon without the use of food.

Food and sleep. Two of the best things that life has to offer.

Although today was a little different. I wasn't up early because of food. Today I was up early because my stupid gut wouldn't stop feeling as if tiny little monkeys were doing somersaults inside me, as well as the fact that I was sweating like crazy.

Mind you, it was the middle of winter.

Can you tell I'm a little nervous for my first day at my new school?

Sighing, I removed what little blanket I had left on my body, by kicking them off. It seemed to take too much effort – more than usual, as the blanket seemed to be glued to me, thanks to my sweat. If someone happened to be watching me just then, it would have looked like my legs were having some kind of seizure.

Staring at the ceiling – blanket less – I debated whether or not pulling a sick day would be a good idea. I really didn't want to go to school today. Knowing I would be the new kid and didn't know anybody made me want to go even less.

The chances of mum actually believing me though were very slim.

Using my arms, I slowly pushed myself into a sitting position, as I glanced around my new – yet still not unpacked – room. The plain white walls seem to make the place seem brighter and more open.

My bed was placed in the centre of the room, the wooden bed frame pressed up against the wall, with my large window to the life. My window took up most of the wall, the only spot that wasn't taken up was at the far-right side, where I decided to put my standing mirror, which used to have a white frame around it but was now covered in old stickers and photos of my family and friends, was facing towards my bed.

It was only then, that I could see how badly I looked like a horrid mess.

My long brown hair that was usually wavy, took more resemblance to a bird's nest than a human hair and was tangled just below my breasts.

I also noticed the dried-up dribble on my check and chin.

I quickly climbed out of bed, wanting to freshen up and feel clean again, as right now I currently felt as if I ran a marathon without having to actually run.

Walking towards my closet directly across from my window – which was angrily barricaded behind all the untouched boxes – the soft light grey carpet tickling the soles of my feet as I slowly treaded over the boxes.

Sighing in relief, I sent a silent thank you to myself as I grabbed my school uniform, thankful that even in the haste of the move I had remembered to unpack at least that. It saved me spending all morning going through boxes trying to find them but also meant I had one less excuse for staying home.

The school uniform consisted of a plain white blouse, that had the schools crest embedded on the left side pocket in red and thin black line tracing the collar. The shirt sleeve stopped just below my elbow drawing attention to the thin leather band adorning my left arm. I pulled out my faded black jeans and sneakers as Oak Ridge High had a carefree uniform policy.

Grabbing the hanger from the shelf, I exited my bedroom and stepped into the hall.

The long corridor was filled with a shining bright light that reflected from the side window across the place white walls. Underneath the window was a simple brown table and single vase in the middle with bright yellow and red flowers inside.

I walked towards the window, the sound of my footsteps echoed in the silent hallway before they stopped dead as I came to a halt in front of the door on the right. Knocking once, I waited a few moments and after hearing nothing I slowly opened the door and peaked inside.