0.5

I was in the middle of breakfast when Brendon called me. I'm usually the one to call him. This must be important.

"Hello?"

"My grandma wants to stop by the diner today." He quickly said and I took a sip of my drink.

"Okay."

"Okay? Ryan, it's not even done! She doesn't even know we're remodeling she's going to pass out!"

"First of all, calm down. Take a deep breath." I said and heard him inhale.

"Now breathe out. It'll be fine. I'll be there when she is. Just tell me what time."

"Now, like right now. Michael is helping her get in the car."

"Shit, okay, I'm on my way." I said and hung up. I got up and dropped my napkin on the table.

"I'm done." I said and the waitress brought my bill. I handed her my card and told her to get a $5 tip. I usually give $10 but I didn't eat my entire meal.

"Thanks." I said and took my credit card back before leaving the restaurant. I drove straight to the diner and didn't see them there yet. Good.

I got out the car and saw Brendon park the car in front of mine. He got out of it and looked at me. He was worried, scared, even a little shaky.

"Come here." I said and he let Michael help his grandma.

"Calm down, I told you to take deep breaths." I said and he did. "Why are you so worried?"

"I'm not, I'm worried."

"That's what I just said, it'll be fine. She'll like it." I assured and put my hand on his arm. He sighed and nodded.

"I just don't want to disappoint her. Lately small things disappoint her and this is huge." He whispered and I nodded.

"Come on." I said and I saw his grandma in a wheelchair. She had glasses and gray hair. Basic grandma look. They all look the same to me.

Brendon opened the door for her and Michael pushed her wheelchair in.

"What happened to these walls?" She asked and Brendon cleared his throat.

"We didn't want to tell you because we wanted it to be a surprise but we're remodeling the place." I said and she looked at me.

"And you are?" She asked, genuinely curious.

"I'm Ryan, Brendon's friend." I said and held my hand up. She shook it and nodded.

"But why are they different colors? You should've gotten a nice pastel yellow." She said.

"The walls were already pastel yellow, we changed them." Brendon said. Were they? I don't remember. She must not either.

"Oh, well these colors are nice too." She said and Brendon smiled.

"We're also putting in a new floor and get new tables and chairs." I said and she looked at Brendon and Michael.

"Who's paying for all of these changes?" She asked and Brendon pointed at me.

"Ryan's paying for it."

"Is this some make-a-wish thing?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"No I just want to help, I came here to eat once and loved it. I just think it needs more customers and a few fixes to get it back on top." I said and she smiled.

"That's so sweet but I'm sure we're doing fine, aren't we, Brendon?" She asked and he gaped looking at me.

"We kind of are."