Chapter 16

This story was planned for later, but I decided to add it now. There is a part 2 but this was all I could update right now.

Warning: This does contain scenes of an injured child. Don't worry though, he will be fine.

------------------------------

I wanted to ask everyone, what they thought. I read the latest chapter of Mo Dao Zu Shi and learned that the branding scene actually occurred during the three years.

So, would you prefer that I add the brand scene back during the three years or add it next in a AU way? I don't mind either one, so I thought I would give the choice to my amazing readers.

---------------------

The magnolia blossoms were gathered on every branch around him, seated as he was at the base of the ancient tree.

It was a place Wei Ying would have liked, he decided staring out over the vast valley that stretched below this steep rise, sweeping into the next mountain ridge, swathed with clouds.

He would come here again soon and play Inquiry to this valley, a place that was special in the heart of both the Twin Jades. Here was their own little haven, owned by all but beloved by them.

This towering tree gnarled and twisted had seen moments of silence, of strife and of the bond that only brothers can know. Brothers aged beyond their time, hurt by grief, by the sting of abandonment and yet the man they called father stands so near, but so far away. They decided their path here, strengthening themselves against the strain, the weight tipped onto shoulders too young to truly understand.

In the brisk air of the morning creeping yet closer to midday, it was too witness heartache too.

"I thought this would please you Brother." Xichen said softly breaking the silence between them, a small frown forming on his usually serene expression.

He didn't understand by why would he? Xichen didn't love Wei Ying, didn't marvel at that brilliant mind even as he stood against his demonic path.

The younger of the Jades stared down at the tea set on the thin stone table, positioned below the overhanging branches of the flowering tree. They were far from prying eyes but close enough. It was Xichen's oldest tea set, a tradition between them now after so many years and one of the few that survived the Wen Sect attack.

The white of the cups and teapot gleamed still, but the mountains of Gusu painted in once vibrant dark blue had faded over time to a softer shade.

This ritual should be comforting, two brothers simply sharing each other's company and the easy flow of words touching upon whatever topic was needed that day.

But today, there was a storm in his chest, violent and loud as his heart beat to the song of anger and indignity placed not on his shoulders, but heaped on the hands of the man slain in the name of revenge. Wei Ying.

The anger made it harder to breathe and the words caught in his throat, trapped and swarming like a thousand bees. "No!" He gasped in his anger, startling his brother.

"They...wanted his death." He tried forcing the words from his throat.

"Why must they take from him?" He demanded staring up at Xichen. "This takes from him!"

"It is not known if Wei Wuxian..." Xichen tried but Wangji was not content.

"I was there!" He said tersely, breaking the code between them by interrupting, a code of respect and patience.