Chapter 61 - It Begins

Dad's cabin hadn't changed much in a year. His wall of brambles was thicker now, courtesy of Eira and me after a couple of raiders had stumbled on the place. One of them had lost a few fingers, but all of them had escaped alive, so we'd counted ourselves lucky and issued a very loud and very public warning about the crazy 'werewolf' in the woods.

Eira put her shoulder to the door and shoved it open. She'd knocked first, of course, so Dad didn't jump her the second she entered. I waited until he'd called a cheerful greeting before I followed her in. He could get overwhelmed with more than one visitor, sometimes.

"Good morning, kiddies," Dad said. "Sit down. Jeff will find you some snacks."

He was looking well, I supposed. As well as could be expected for someone in total isolation with very few amenities. There was colour in his cheeks and his eyes weren't as sunken as usual. And maybe I was just being optimistic, but it looked like he might have put on some weight.

I took a seat at the table and winced when the chair groaned under my weight. Eira disguised laughter as a cough before hopping up onto the table itself, letting her legs swing back and forth. Dad went over to his cool box and began rooting around within, occasionally muttering to himself. It took him a minute to find what he was looking for.

"Food for the kiddies," he said, dumping half a squirrel onto Eira's lap. "And ... food for Jeff?"

"Yep," I told him. The Morrisons bag was at my feet, and I pulled it open to show him the contents. It was mostly baked beans, of course, but there was also rice, strawberries, cheese, tinned hot dogs and even a bar of chocolate.

Dad beamed at me. "Good boy. Yesh. Jeff thanks you very much, he does."

Meanwhile, Eira was in the process of delicately relocating the squirrel to the table top. It was completely and utterly raw, so there was already blood staining her favourite pair of jeans, but she didn't dare complain.

I leant forwards. "It's from both of us, Dad. Eira drove all the way to Wyst."

I'd been in the passenger seat, and I'd paid, but we wouldn't mention that. Anything to make him more amiable towards her.

"Hmm," Dad murmured. "Ish that so?"

Eira nodded her head and managed a smile. "Yeah. Is there anything else you need? Anything we can get for next week?"

Dad sat down in the second chair and crossed his legs neatly in front of him as he thought about it. Squeak the mouse was perched in his breast pocket. He pointed his little nose at the sky and snuffed at Eira and me, doubtless wondering if we might feed him.

Like hell. I might have procured the sharp-toothed devil in the first place, but I was beginning to wish I hadn't. He and Dad had become dangerously co-dependent. I couldn't help but wondering how Dad might deteriorate should anything happen to the little guy. Mice only lived so long, after all.

"Jeff's knife ran away. He'd likes a new one. Yesh, please."

Eira dug out her own penknife and offered it to him. "I'll get another."

He took it without a word of thanks and began spinning it between his fingers. Watching the blade flash, I remember abruptly that he had been one hell of a fighter in his day. Good enough to catch a Queen's eye. It was hard to believe these days.

"So, how are you, Dad?" I asked.

He chewed on his fingernails, shrugging at me.

Great start. In all honesty, I was hoping this wouldn't take long. I had wanted to spend the entire morning in bed with Jess and little Bran, but Eira had decided to visit Dad and there was no way in hell I was letting her go alone.