Chapter 2

Authors note: Hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! still in the process of editing but here is the next!

ENJOY

Raffaele Riario

So close – he was so close he could almost taste the bitter cold of the outside world. With a dissatisfied grunt he removed his large hand from the brass doorknob and turned to face his unimpressed mother.

“Dear mother, what are you doing awake at this hour?” the young man voiced, pulling his mother into a tight embrace and placed a sweet kiss on her forehead. The woman breathed in deeply, revelling in the essence of her son’s masculine aroma.

She pulled away from him laughing and placed a tender hand on his cheek.

Fili mi, I believe you forget who the mother in this household truly is,” she began with a smirk, that smirk soon morphing into a frown. “I should be enquiring as to why you are awake at such a time as this Raffaele?”

The corner of Raffaele’s mouth unconsciously tilted up, his mother knew the tell-tale sign all too well – he was about to tell a lie, and a large one at that considering the circumstances. Catalina rolled her eyes in a very un-lady like manor, wondering as to whether or not she should even bother herself with her nuisance of a son.

Raffaele took hold of his mother’s hand and began to escort her back to her room. “Amor meus, why do you even worry about my wellbeing, I’m capable enough of worrying about us both, so there’s no need exhaust yourself.”

Catalina scoffed, it was no shock that her son believed she couldn’t take care of herself, she had yet to find an Italian man who thought otherwise.

“Your my son and the world we live in is dangerous, find me a mother who cares not about her child and I will leave you be, until then do not deny me the right of asking a simple question and gaining a simple answer.”

Raffaele could tell by the stern look on his mother’s aging features that she would not back down. Although Raffaele loved his mother more than he loved his own self, he could not tell her about his destination for the night, knowing his mother he knew that she would somehow place herself into danger with the information.

“Giovanni awaits my arrival, he needs my consort on a matter, that is all mother.”

Catalina was sceptical at her sons excuse but his motionless face gave no more away. Knowing that she would receive no more she hesitantly nodded, giving permission for her son to leave – although he would have most likely done so no matter her decision.

He placed a quick peck on the roof of her hand before walking off, his strides large and heavy. With a sigh Catalina shut her chamber door, and comforted herself with a prayer that God would keep her son for her.

Raffaele grinned at his better success of shielding his mother away from a world full of corruption but berated himself for even letting his mother catch him on one of his outings. As he strolled through the greenery that stretched in front of his home he was pleased to find his guards at their post.

He could hear her before he could see her, the thumping of her hooves on the dry ground as she felt the presence of her owner.

Raffaele patted the sheer coat of his mare and saddled her up for their journey. After gracefully hoisting himself up he placed his hand out allowing the stable boy to pass him the horse’s reins. With a kick of his heels he was off, riding towards his destination that lay in the main town.