Escape From The City Or Follow The Sun?

"Remember Icarus, don't fly too close to the water or too close to the sun" Daedalus said to his son Icarus

"Yes, father" Icarus answered in an understanding tone. He was so excited for the feat they'd be doing in a few moments.

Icarus glanced up at the desert like blue sky that seemed to go on forever. This was it.

Icarus and Daedalus were ready as they stood on the ledge of the window of the tower that had been their prison for quite some time now. They were finally going to break free. They were going to be free.

And off they went, using the wings his father Daedalus had made with wax and feathers.

They were free. He was free. Free as a bird. Literally.

He was flying. He couldn't believe that he was flying.

He was loving the experience of flying. The feeling of being airborne was really indescribable. The absurd experience of feeling light and heavy at the same time. The thrill of battling the reverse current of the wind. The feel of the wind slapping against his face.

Icarus wanted to just fly like this forever. He loved this newly attained freedom so much that he never wanted to land.

No sooner had this thought run across his mind than he was overcome with a wave of sadness. He realized that this freedom wasn't going to last long. He knew that wherever they'd land, whichever place they'd go to, they would have to live in hiding. And he was tired of hiding.

Thinking this, he gazed down to glance at his father Daedalus.

Icarus was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't realise he had been ascending the sky. He could see the figure of his father looking up at him most likely shouting for him to come down.

That's when he remembered the warnings his father had given him.

Icarus knew his father wasn't a saint. Daedalus was a famous inventor but that was not it. His father had a past. A shady past. Daedalus' pride had made him do terrible things. He didn't think about the consequences before doing something. He was a short sighted man.

Icarus had heard enough stories about his father. He'd also heard one story of his father having blood on his hands of his former apprentice who also been Icarus' cousin . Icarus had heard plenty and he knew his father had done awful things. He knew his father's mistakes in the past had brought them in the current situation.

As long as he'd remembered his father had always been on the run.

Daedalus was always trying to escape cities. Trying to escape his past. But what was the the point? The past was sooner or later going to catch up with him no matter how hard Daedalus tried to escape or avoid it.

Icarus then looked up at the Sun. The Sun was out now. But was up above the clouds. And Icarus fell in love instantly.

Icarus had made up his mind. He didn't want to hide anymore. He wanted to fly. He wanted to touch the Sun.

He gazed down at the figure of his father and even though he knew his father couldn't hear him he said out loud,

"Father, I know you wanted to escape the city but I want to follow the Sun. "

And with that he flew higher and higher. His flight to the giant Star. To the Sun. No, Apollo as they called him.

His Apollo was up in the clouds. Icarus flew higher and higher. Closer and closer. The only thing on his mind was to touch his Apollo, to feel his heat.

He knew what would happen if he got any closer. He knew how it was going to end. But he was determined to break through the atmosphere, fly above the clouds just to touch Apollo.

He finally reached close enough to be able to touch Apollo. He felt Apollo touching him. He wanted to remember the feeling of Apollo's touch forever. To soak in the heat radiating off Apollo.

Icarus melted at Apollo's touch.

The wax did too.

Icarus could feel the wings getting lighter and lighter.

Icarus knew after all this he'd be remembered as "the boy who didn't listen to his father and fell" when really he was "the boy who listened to his heart and flew".

And soon he was falling. He was going to fall but for Icarus, it was all worth it.

Apollo was all he could remember as he braced himself for the impact with the ocean water.

Icarus was ready to face the consequences.

Yes, he was ready.

For his own death.

Note : Thank you so much for reading. 😊♥️