Lizzy's Story [Alice: Madness Returns the Videogame Tribute]

"The noise you heard wasn't Lizzie talking in her sleep. "

-The Red Queen of Hearts ("Infernal Train")

***

The afternoon was golden. Twilight hadn't quite begun, but the day was ready for rest. The sun was low on the rolling green hills, thin pink whisps of clouds hovered overhead. The air was warm and lovely, flowers were at peace and sent their fragrance dancing in the air. I was at my happiest. And with a book in my hands, nothing could be better.

Alice kicked me.

"Alice, what did you kick me for?" I said, looking down at my little sister. She was sprawled on her back, sleeping heavily. She twitched, Dynah on her stomach didn't like that. Alice seemed to be having a nightmare.

I scooped up Dynah and placed her against my bosom securely, the book in my hand. I poked at my sister. "Alice. Alice! Wake up."

She winced, her ten-year-old face pinched like she melled something distasteful. She rolled on her side, her expression disappearing in the grass. I heard her cry.

I dropped everything and shook her. Her big green eyes opened. She was thankful to see me.  

"Lizzy?"

"Yes, sister dear. You were dream-"

Before I could finish, she sprung to her feet and began jesturing madly and reciting someother version of how doth the busy bee.

"How doth the little crocodileImprove his shining tail,And pour the waters of the NileOn every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems-!"

"Alice! What on earth are you doing? I just said you were dreaming!"

"Oh no, Lizzy, it wasn't! There was the rabbit, then the hatter, and tweedle dee and tweedle dum, and the aweful queen of-"

"That's enough. Let's get inside." My sister read too many novels with fantasy stories. Certainly she was just imagining. I don't much care for her childish ways, I'm old enough to be a woman and Alice must learn this.

I helped her up and straightened out her blue dress. She was a mini version of me, at times I was proud to see what a special young me she had become. She was adorable, two feet shorter than I, with straight black hair, the only difference between us. I was more of a blonde.

*

By the time we entered the door of our two story home, I had to shush Alice twice about her nonsense.

"Alice, you must know there is no such thing as wonderland." I said sternly.

"Not true. All little girls live in their wonderland until they become fine young ladies."

I looked up at a stranger. He was in a cardigan petticoat- something only the rich wore. He was tall and lean with a head like a knob atop of his thin neck. The spectacles on his nose shone like a torch, there was an interestingly golden chain hung outside his breat pocket, a watch was certainly on the end of it.

Papa entered the room, throwing his arm around the man's shoulders and laughing with joy.

"My dears. This is our new family friend, Dr. Angus Bumby. Angus, these are my daughtes: Elizabeth and Alice."

Bumby had a pointed nose, he looked like a clever eagle perched on the tallest steeple of Big Ben's belltower. He was keene, I surmised he was a doctor for the mind. A psychologist. He smiled and little wrinkles gathered on the corners of his eyes.

"Good day, ladies." said he.

"Are you rich?!" said Alice, jumping out from behind me.

"Alice! That is not polite. How would you feel if someone made assumptions about you?" I warned.

"That's quite alright." announced the guest, with a smile. He walked over to Alice and gave her a mint. She ran off with her new gift and we were down to three. "I'm the new headmaster of The Hounsditch Home for Wayward Youth."

"The place where your mother and I grew up." Pa said, clapping Bumby on the shoulder, "All the Headmasters know how to certainly turn around lives and create little angels. Angus should be treated like royalty here."

I looked him over again. I courtseyed politely.

"Unfortunately, even royalty has a schedule and I must depart for my afternoon sessions with my patients."

He shook my fathers hand and kissed Ma on the cheek. He walked over to me. No man but Pa had ever given me a touch of the lips anywhere. Angus Bumby took my hand delicately in his and planted a kiss on my skin. It was different. I'm not sure how I felt about it.

The carriage he owned rolled away with clattering wheels on our grassy drive.

Ma and Pa really liked him. But I don't know if I liked his kiss.

***

Here is a taste of a fresh story. This game is fantastic! Mind-fucking! The most beautiful art I've EVER seen in a videogame!

'Tis short, but more to come :3