Chapter 1

February 12, 2018

Cero's POV
___________________________

" Cero get out of bed before you're late!" I jump out of bed hearing mom screaming at me as I rush to dress myself. I pull on my black V-neck shirt and a pair of tight fitting blue jeans with my black converse and pull my hair into a ponytail applying a thin layer of mascara. I check myself out in the mirror and smile happy with my outfit as I grab my backpack and run downstairs. I smile seeing my parents in the kitchen mom is cooking as usual and dad is playing a game on his phone and mumbling under his breath when he loses a level. I smile and look over moms shoulder to see what she's cooking as my stomach growls making her laugh " it's your favorite veggie omelette with extra mushrooms" she says finally handing me a plate and I quickly sit at the table stuffing my face " chew your food Cero you're gonna choke" I look up at my dad looking at me in amusement and smile swallowing " where is buddy? Is he still not feeling better?" I ask looking for my ten year old brother and mom sighs " he's still running a fever of 102 and the nosebleeds haven't stopped Dr.Smith is supposed to come by and see him today he's too weak to ride to the hospital" I nod and finish my omelette and chug my orange juice before putting my dishes in the sink giving my parents kisses on the cheeks before running to my 2016 mustang I stop to admire the beautiful black matte paint and the royal blue rims and side mirrors and smile even bigger when I see dad put new tires on her for me " hey babygirl your ready to burn some rubber" I whisper sliding into my seat and rubbing the steering wheel before putting her in reverse and head towards school. I listen to the radio but quickly change the station when I realize it's just about the illness that's been spreading across the southern United States unfortunately that's where I'm located and even worst my little brother is sick with whatever it is. I shake my head to clear my thoughts as I pull into my parking spot noticing I'm still a bit early for school so I get out and head inside to find my best friend Jax. After about five minutes of looking I see Jax trying to flirt with a freshman and I shake my head getting an evil idea as I walk up to them pretending to be mad. I cross my arms and cough to get the two girls attention " Jax's how could you cheat on me with a freshman!!!" I scream and Jax turns bright red hiding her face and the poor freshman stutters over her words looking between the two of us I let this go on for a couple seconds before I finally crack up and hold my stomach laughing as the freshman blushes and Jax throws her bottled water at me " You're a pain in the ass Cero" she says smiling and shakes her head at me " well I'm not the senior trying to flirt with a freshman" I smile and wrap my arm around her shoulders leaving a very confused freshman behind us in the hall as we walk to class.  We take our usual seats in the back while everyone slowly files into the classroom and I lean back in my seat closing my eyes slowly drifting back asleep as the teacher begins talking about something to do with the periodic table.