eight

Cannons begin to ring out in the arena, helping keep Jace awake as oxygen is cut off from her brain. She hears three to be exact, or maybe it's just ringing in her ear.

" Just die already!" Marcus yells, saliva landing on Jace's face. His grip tightens with anger, her face beginning to lose its color as tears run down her eyes. Her hand shakily moves to her pocket, trying to grip the little blade she left in there. When it pierces her finger, she grips it tightly, pulling it from her pocket.

Her hand is covered in blood, it dripping like the rabbit's a few weeks ago. Soon, the blood from her hand and Marcus' blood mix together as she stabs him in the back.

He screams in pain, allowing Jace to push him off. He lays on his back, trying to bite the pain back.

When he's able to get up, he screams again, a knife planting itself in his shoulder. He looks up tiredly, the blood beginning to drain from his face and body. He finds an pale looking Jace barely holding her own, a machete in her bloody hand.

" Well, fuck you," he grins, staring her down.

" And fuck you too!" Marcus' life disappears, as Jace swings the machete, it landing in his head. She pulls it roughly, forcing the body to fall with a thud.

" Jace! Get Rue!" Cato screams, his grip beginning to loosen on the little girl, the pain in his shoulder becoming too much to bear. Ace runs tiredly, getting there just in time as Rue loses her grip, screaming as she falls.