Mara needs help.

Mara's POV

A cold night always brought an angel to cuddle up inside my arms like her life depended on me. We had so many cold stormy nights and they always sent her flying into my arms because she was scared of storms, thunder, darkness; my little darling: my Marisa. It was the same cold night that had plagued her little heart with an illness; she had contracted pneumonia when we were kicked out of our home and had to spend a series of nights out in the cold, on the streets. We squatted in dek allies, under bridges, in places no human being should ever find their self in. We ate from trash cans, left overs and some days nothing at all. On a cold night she had started coughing and burning up while I was out in the world looking for a means for us to survive. On a cold night, I had gone through the ga badge cans by a pharmacy to get something, anything that could help her. It was on a cold night that I ran in and out of stores, homes, work places, pleading, begging, crying for help in any way to help her but no one offered any. One cold night turn to may colder nights. She was dying in my arms and I could see it; but I wasn't just going to sit and watch it happen. On a cold night, someone familiar had found us and given us shelter, food, warm cloths and me, a paying job. Health care became less stressful to worry about, but she wasn't getting any better. I could jad taken her to the hospital but I wasn't yet of legal age to keep her, to be her guardian and they would take her awaybfrom me. But on a cold night, she started convulsing,she was deteriorating, dying in front of my eyes; and I had no other choice then than to bring her to a hospital. I knew the moment they found out she wasn't under proper care and that her guardian wasn't of legal age, they would take her away from me; but I couldn't just watch her die.

It was during a cold stormy night again, a cold night that the icy hands of death had snatched her away from me.

Most of NY most dreadful memories, loses and failures in this life all lingered in cold nights.

I hated cold nights!!!

I had been laying quietly in my private ward at the hospital, staring at the ceiling, imagining how many stars could possibly be beyond it, and if i could go out and count them, when a certain chill took over me. I felt so cold. I had to cuddle in and sleep, but I wanted to go outside and count the stars. I got up from my bed and went outside to check on the weather, to see if the sky was awake and if the stars were out playing. I made sure no one saw me. Not completely sure why but that was how I did it. It's not like someone could stop me as I really wanted to go out; I wasn't a prisoner after all.

But last I remember was hearing a little voice somewhere outside in the cold thin air call out to me. I couldn't tell if it was in my head or outside my mind, coming from someone, but it seemed to come from a distance, it was compellinh and it was one voice I could never mistake nor forget.

"Mummy? mummy I'm scared! I can not sleep alone; come get me!!!"

Marissa?

I heard myself guessing. It was the same as all the other times she'd run to my bed when it was a cold night.

I followed the call and completely forgot about everything else; the stars,the hospital, the baby, and the fact I had on a thin layer fabric and was going out into a deadly cold night air. I recalled hearing multiple callings of my name while I laid on the green grass, caressing the tombstone and hoping it was keeping her warm and safe. I could barely even feel the blazing cold as I sat there with only the hospital dress on.

"Maraïda!! Bloody hell Maraïda what are y..." just like that the voice of Jared Shenko was fading into the familiar void I always ended up in when I loose consciousness.

********

Jared's POV.

Issa piloted us to the graveyard. I had thought this girl's craziness couldn't surpass a certain stage but she just kept on proving me wrong.

A graveyard!!!

What can she want from a graveyard at this time of the night.

Probably bury herself alive!!!

I told myself, I had no problem with this girl hurting herself or killing herself but as long as she carried my child, she needed- no! She had to live.

"Her entire family is buried here!" Issa told me.

Oh!

We shared courses and started searching through the graves. I felt like we were playing some kind of horror movie prank. I imagined all the things I could have been doing; with Sophia during this storm and the thought just made me more furious. I cannot even recount the number of curses and ill wishes I had in mind for her. I lost my train of thoughts when I heard Issa was calling out to her.

Oh well! Why not!

I thought it'll be easier to find her that way so I started calling. I stopped dead when I heard humming. Someone humming something like a lullaby; in a graveyard; at night. I followed the sound, only to find her slowly falling off the tombstone she was hugging and caressing; in a thin layer robe. She was loosing consciousness.

"Bloody hell Maraïda! What are you doing?" My first instincts was to cover her body for warmth and out of respect. So I took off my shirt and threw it over her. I was left in a T-shirt.

"Issa! Sophia! I found her." I called out as I lifted her up bridal style and started off for the car. I only had enough time spared to read the name on the tombstone: Marissa Rosita Mendoza; 2009-2012.

Poor child!!!