the emergency alerts on the radio don't make sense part 1

“The storm is getting worse. Do not go outside under any circumstances. If you need assistance, dial 911.”

I plopped down on the couch with a bottle of wine. “We certainly picked the right time for a honeymoon, huh? We’re going to be snowed in for days.”

“I don’t mind,” Daniel said, with a wink.

“No, seriously! I picked this cabin for the view. Pines for miles, with herds of deer and wild turkey. Now it’s just – this.” I gestured to the window. It was all white, save for the fuzzy gray outline of a few trees.

“Come on, it’ll be a funny story to tell our –”

Crack.

A sharp crackle of static on the radio, followed by the announcer’s hurried voice –

“Close all curtains and blinds. I repeat, close all curtains and blinds.”

I shot a glance at Daniel. He shrugged back.

“If you have any windows without blinds – including cellar windows, glass insets on front doors, and mail slots – cover them with a sheet.”

“That’s weird.”

“I bet it’s because of snow blindness,” Daniel said, pouring himself a glass. “You know, they don’t want anyone looking out their window, and getting blinded by the sun reflecting off the snow.” He stood up, and slowly lowered the blinds, until we were left in shadowy darkness.

“I’ll get the lights,” I said, standing up.

Click.

Darkness.

“The power’s out?!” I yelled. “No wonder it’s so cold in here! And how are we supposed to watch Game of Thrones? Or charge our phones? Or –”

“Rebecca, it’s okay. Here, sit, and drink the rest of your wine. I’m going to find some matches; then I’m going to chuck that stupid radio out into the snow, and we’re going to sit in front of a roaring fire. Okay?”

“Okay, fine.”

He disappeared into the kitchen.

The light through the blinds was fading, now, and the room was steadily getting colder. The wooden bear in the corner – that I thought was cute and rustic, when we arrived – looked ready to attack us. And the antlers hanging from the walls looked no better than sharpened spikes, ready to impale anyone who dared to walk by. “Hurry back,” I called, pulling the blanket up to my neck. “It’s cold without you here.”

“One final warning.” The announcer’s voice came over the radio, muddied with static. “Do not go outside – do not open the door – no matter what you hear. And don’t –”

Static.

I grabbed the radio, shook it, and sighed. “The reception’s gone!”

“Good!” he called back. “And I think I found some matches!”

I clicked the dial forward.

A cheery voice came on, clear as day.

“We are handing out free supplies at the edge of the forest on Maple Street – bottled water, canned food, blankets, and battery packs.”

Daniel rushed back in with the matches, looking confused. “Wait – I thought they said –”

I turned up the volume.

“Come out and get yours as soon as you can – there is limited supply."