Episode 7: An Accusation

So you're back, huh? Well, it's a good story. I think I might be keeping you from reading it. I get so wrapped up in all this stuff I know about the Old West, about how the Brinkertons would come in and take over a town, how girls would arrive thinking they were getting a nice job as a maid or something and get stuck in a whorehouse, all the exciting discoveries in technology that came straight out of the western expansion. Can you imagine a time when 35 miles per hour was breakneck?

But I digress.

The thing is, I worry that all my jabbering is more like a lecture. Well, it is. So I might stick my oar in from time to time from now on, but mostly, I'm just gonna get out of the way. That's what happens when you're old. You just get in the way.

*

The first day of school arrived. Georgie and Amelia stopped next door to pick up Jamie, who stood in the small garden, feet firmly planted, his uncle Rabbit even more firmly pushing him out the gate. "No arguments! If we catch you--and you know we'll catch you--your Pa will whip you till your behind lights up Main Street! And I'll just stand there and laugh, you watch me."

"C'mon, Jamie, it won't be so bad," said Amelia.

"Says you," he scowled.

"Jamie, c'mon," said Georgie. He grabbed his friend by the collar and marched him down the street toward the schoolhouse. "I see Lily in the schoolyard, Amelia, go on ahead." His sister ran to meet her best friend, leaving Georgie alone with Jamie. "Now, listen, Jamie, you can't do that again."

"Do what?"

"You know very well what! Harry Lockson's only six, which leaves you and me. No one'll think it's you, you're the sheriff's son. Which leaves me. T'ain't fair! If you're gonna do stuff like that, you should be a man, and not blame it on other folks!"

"I didn't do nothin, an I ain't blamin it on anyone!"

"Now, I ain't sayin it wasn't a fine thing. Made me laugh, anyway! But I'm still in trouble from tying Mr Hopewell's shoelaces together at our house when he wasn't paying attention. That was funny," Georgie said, his face full of fond memories.

"I didn't do nothin."

"Aw, c'mon, Jamie!"

By now the two boys had reached the schoolyard. Miss Duniway stood in the door ringing the bell; it was time for class. They walked past the rebuilt fence and into the repainted schoolhouse.

As soon as they entered, Annabelle's bracelet pricked at her wrist; she hid her surprise. "Children, please sit down. Little ones to the front, older ones to the back. I'll return in a moment."

"Wonder where she's going," she heard Georgie whisper to Jamie.

"Maybe she's gotta pee," said Harry Lockson. Georgie and Jamie guffawed. "But maybe she does!" Harry repeated in earnest concern.

Annabelle rolled her eyes, and walked quickly up and down the street, as if looking for errant pupils; her bracelet made not a tickle. The schoolhouse stood off to itself enough that she knew nothing came from a nearby building. No, it was in the schoolhouse, and it came from either Jamie or Georgie.

Neither of them were old enough to be fooling with the magical structure of hermetauxite--but someone in their families might be. Simon Prake was already on her short list of suspects; she sadly added another mark against him.

Now, she had the Runnels to consider, too. Sheriff John didn't check out as at all trained in the engineering way, but she'd had bigger surprises. Deputy Rabbit was a blank slate; he hadn't shown up in her research at all. She returned to the schoolhouse and began the lesson, wincing to herself every time she passed Georgie and Jamie's bench.