THREE

Well, well, well, who do we have here?" a deep gravelly voice asked. I looked up and came eye to eye with a man who had iron-gray eyes, a cruel smile that showed missing teeth, and a mess of brown that I assumed he considered hair. I immediately recognized him as Fendon, the one who I stabbed while defending Nila and her mother. He told me we had a score to settle and seemed like the kind that would hold a grudge. I hadn't had time to alter my appearance in any way before I was taken prisoner but he didn't seem to recognize me just yet.
    "A few Carthyans crossing the border," replied the thief gripping my right arm. "They were carrying some pretty valuable stuff. One of the other thieves tossed my knife and Fink's sword in front of Fendon.
    "You must be of high status over in Carthya," Fendon said.
    "Where's Erick?" I asked instead of confirming his assumption. I already knew the answer, but they didn't know that. And since Fink wasn't there, I could play my own game with these thieves.
    "Erick? He's long gone. I'm in charge now."
    "I heard he went to the pirates and became king so I guess he did better than you guys anyway," I replied.
    "For a Carthyan, you do know a lot," he replied sarcastically as he examined the knife and sword.
    "I can get you to the pirates," I said.
    "You, a young, arrogant boy, can get us to the pirates?" Fendon scoffed. Then he gave me a cruel, toothless smile.
    I just looked at him, grinned, and held out my right arm. On my forearm was the brand of the pirates which would forever be imprinted on my skin as a reminder of the many, many adventures I had with them.
    Fendon and the other thieves leaned in and looked closely at the brand.
"Take him to the tent," Fendon ordered. "I want to know all about our new friend and his experience with the pirates.
Little did he know what he was actually getting himself into by asking about my experience with the pirates.
    The tent was in the innermost part of the camp and was well guarded.
"Try to run and you won't live to see another day," Fendon threatened. He didn't need to. I knew he was a good fighter.
    I was forced down onto a bench in front of a table. A piece of freshly cooked meat was placed on an old plate in front of me.
    "So boy, you never told us your name," Fendon said as he sat down across from me. "I'm Fendon." He stuck out a meaty hand. I leaned forward, spat on my palm and shook it.
He grinned at me. "This one's got character," he said to his buddies who were guarding the door. "So tell us about your experience with the pirates. No one ever escapes them alive."
    "I'm special," I replied as I took a huge bite of the meat in front of me. My answer made Fendon chuckle.
    "No really, how did you escape?" Another plate was brought for Fendon along with a keg of beer.
    "I didn't," I said with a mouthful of meat. "I left."
    "You left?" Fendon asked clearly skeptical of my story so far. "No one just leaves Tarblade."
    "I did." I took a drink of the beer. "Alive," I then added for emphasis.
    "How?" Fendon asked again.
    "I told you, I left." Despite my calm attitude, I was running low on patience. I had little to begin with anyway. Fink could attest to that.
    "You still never told us your name," Fendon said, not pushing me any further. "But you knew who Erick was. Who was that boy who came with you? I haven't seen him yet."
    If Fendon saw Fink, he'd immediately recognize him but there was little I could say.
    "Go get the other one," Fendon ordered one of the men guarding the tent. He motioned to me. "He's not planning on going anywhere anytime soon."
    I looked up from my meat and then continued eating.
    Fink entered the tent and by the look on his face, I knew he recognized Fendon right away. He glanced toward me and I discreetly looked the other way hoping Fink would get the hint. He did. For once.
    "Fink, it's good to have you back," Fendon said as another plate was brought in and Fink squeezed himself onto the bench with me.
    Fink just stared at Fendon.
    "Perhaps you don't remember me?" Fendon asked. "I was the one that brought you here in the first place."
    I glanced at Fink. He had never told me that. Fink just stared back at Fendon. "I remember," he finally said.
    "Why were you in Carthya then? And would you mind telling me who your friend is? He doesn't seem to want to answer that or how he left the pirates alive. And didn't you go to the pirates with Erick and that other boy, Sage?" Fendon continued. The last part, my orphan name, he said with disgust. "What? Did you become too much of an annoyance to Erick and he abandoned you before he made it to Tarblade?" he said to Fink. Then he eyed me suspiciously.
    Fink looked at me. By then I had finished eating. I took a drink of the beer and set the cup down. I was not going to wait for Fendon to figure it out by himself.
    "My name's Sage," I said in my perfect Avenian accent. "I'm surprised you didn't recognize me Fendon." I got up and paced the tent.
    Fendon's guards moved to control me but he put a hand up. "Let him finish."
    "I went to the pirates," I continued. "With Fink. I became king and then, after a while, I relinquished my power over to Erick."
    Fendon looked at me. "You gave your power to Erick?"
    "Well, I couldn't possibly have stayed there."
    "Why not?"
    "I had other duties to fulfill."
    Just then another thief ran into the tent. "Fendon!" he shouted. "Roden's escaped!"
    So that's where Roden had disappeared to. But why was he with the thieves? I swung around to face him and then back to Fendon. "Let me chase him. To prove myself to you. I know you said we have a score to settle last time I saw you. I'm sure you remember."
    Fendon's eyes narrowed. "So you know who Roden is then?" he asked. When I didn't answer right away, he answered his own question. "Of course, you're Carthyan. Alright, go get Roden, as a Carthyan you know how important he is to King Jaron. Apparently, Jaron followed him to the pirates just to get him on his good side." He obviously didn't get the whole story nor was he fooled by my Avenian accent, but he believed my name was Sage and that's all I needed.
    I laughed as Fendon handed me my knife and Fink's sword. "Jaron sounds like an idiot."
    "He is. I don't know why they ever crowned him. But that's why we need Roden. We're holding him and Jaron's prime regent Harlowe here for ransom. And Carthya will have to pay up, and pay high."
    So Harlowe was here too. That simplified my plans, but not by much. I turned towards Fendon. "You won't be disappointed."
    "I better not be," Fendon growled. "I want him alive though. Got it, Sage? Alive!"
    I nodded and headed out of the tent to find Mystic.