Chapter 1- Time Theft

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams." - H.G. Wells

*                  *                  *

"I'm being reassigned?"

Jane Vega stood in a courtroom in full military attire, her many military medals and ribbons embellishing her uniform. In front of her, a council of officers elaborated on her abrupt promotion.

The speaker of the panel, General Shaw, gave a nod,"Colonel Vega, you have served four consecutive terms in the Middle East, where you have led numerous counter-terrorism missions. Are you responsible for leading the recent raids of insurgent bases in Iraq and Syria?"

Jane gave a solemn nod,"Yes, General."

General Shaw continued,"You have proved on multiple occasions to be a valuable asset to NATO and to the United States of America. Your exceptional leadership skills have been personally requested by the Department of Defense."

The General smiled,"Congratulations, Colonel, you have been reassigned to Dr. Wells and Special Agent Thorne to a new mission effective immediately. Transportation is waiting outside. Good luck and Godspeed."

Jane looked to the two individuals sitting at the table beside her.

Dr. Wells was a middle-aged man with graying hair and wise eyes. He was accompanied by Agent Thorne, a black woman with shoulder-length brunette hair.

The two walked Jane out of the courtroom, toward their transportation. Jane frowned,"What exactly is the nature of this reassignment?"

Agent Thorne smiled,"It's an true honor to meet you, Colonel Vega. You are world-class."

Jane lifted a brow,"You didn't answer my question."

* * *

The colonel found her transportation to be a private jet.

After flying to South Dakota, Jane found herself escorted by Dr. Wells and Agent Thorne to a remote military installation in the Badlands.

"Huh," Jane retorted as a guard opened the entrance gate,"and I thought this was going to be boring."

The vehicle drove inside the compound, passing a sign reading:

AREA 52
NO TRESPASSING

The group came to a large hangar-like building. Soldiers stood on vigilant watch on either side of the entrance, armed with guns and night vision googles that peered into the night.

After Agent Thorne flashed her badge, the soldiers allowed them to enter. Jane was led to a small waiting room, where she found two other individuals.

A young woman with red hair glanced up from the book she was reading, and jumped up,"Hi! Are you in charge?"

A man with short black hair, looking half asleep, opened his electric blue eyes to glare at the energetic girl across the room,"If she were in charge, why would she be waiting in here with us?"

The girl gave a nod,"Good point."

The door opened behind Jane, and Agent Thorne stepped inside. The man arose to greet her.