Chapter 2

I took to the waves with more force and balance then necessary. The smell of the salty air raidiating through my lungs and nose was refreshing. I rode the wave out until I couldn't stand up anymore and threw myself into the water with a spalsh. I came up, the fresh water drops glistening in the sun. I climbed on top of my turqouise and lime green board. This is exactly what I needed after everything that happened last night.

My dad had woken me up at three thirty in the morning from my spot on the couch. His expression was troubled and grave. When he told me that she had been one of the inmates to escape it was like my entire world came crashing down. Every wall I had built up to keep everything at bay broke like a damn and it all came flooding back. The first thing I did was cry. My dad sat down next to me and let me sob until it hurt. Then I had a million questions run through my head. Where was she hiding? What did she plan to do? And more importantly, when would she find me? That question didn't cause fear as much as panic. It was never a matter of if she'd find me when she got out, but when she would.

"She won't be able to get near you," Dad said with a tight voice. "That will be for damn sure."

"You know she'll find a way." I barely whispered, my voice raspy from crying. Even if there were a million security guys and bodyguards following me, she'd find a way in. She was always good at that.

"She won't be able to get out of Nebraska," he rubbed my shoulder. "Her face will be plastered all over the place. She won't get anywhere without being recongized."

"How can you be so sure? She is sneaky and stealthy. Nothing they do will stop her!" I argued. Did he not remember her at all?

"I'll make sure you're safe. As far as everyone is concerned, none of the fugitives have left the county. They have police on patrol all over the county borders. You are safe for now. She can't harm you ever again." He pulled me in for a hug. I knew there was no point in arguing with him. He wanted to believe that once she was out of his life, it would stay that way.

After my dad and her got a divorce when I was two, I never saw him again. She took me and ran off to Nebraska where she raised me. She never talked about him. She never showed me pictures of him. She completely cut him out of her life and ultimately mine. As far as I was concerned, my dad was her new husband. His name was Sean Hunter. She didn't really love him. She was just trying to replace the husband she had lost. As I got older, I picked up on things about their relatonship and by accident, my actual father. Of course their realtionship hit a terrible rough patch. Sean was tired of playing second fiddle and wanted out. She wasn't too pleased about it and that's when it happened.

My eyes refocus on the desolate beach before me. There aren't many people here, probably because it is a Tuesday afternoon. I scan the sandy shore as the water licks at my legs and board. I know who I am looking for, but I know it's the paranoia looking for something else. I hear my name being called from my left and turn my attention towards it. Paddling towards me is my hotter than hot surf instructer, Dylan. Of course he was like twenty something, in college and had a steady girlfriend (I'm not a stalker I swear. He just has a very intriguing Facebook page). His brown surfer hair is slicked back from being in the water. His smile is bright and his dimples are so delightful to look at.

"I've been calling your name for ten minutes now," He tells me as he finally reaches me, sitting up.

"Sorry. I was spacing out," I turn to him, trying not to get lost in those gorgeous hazel eyes. "What are we doing now?"

"It looks like you have mastered bailing and standing up," He laughs. "Pretty soon you might be able to ride a wave instead of having it push you forward."

"It doesn't help that the waves suck today." I commented. I've been out here for two hours and there have been no good barreling or carving waves. It sucked because this was the only day this week I would be able to get and surf.