Free writes

Free writes

#1

Title: Memory of the mosque

I remember walking with a look of amazement to the Cedar rapids Islamic center.

It’s blue dome sparkles in the sunlight as the call to prayer is made. I take off my shoes before entering and hurry to prayer. The mosque is a special place for me. Its a something that keeps me calm and makes me forget all my troubles. A place that feels like i could walk on clouds. My favorite part of the mosque is the large prayer room with its embroidered Arabic symbols that read “ There is only one God” and have parchments of the Quran in beautiful turquoise and gold letters .  I also like the gym and the park at the Islamic center. It may be a mosque but is a community center as well. Thats what there is always tons of nice things to do for us Muslim kids. Besides its much better than getting into trouble. Alot of people come to the mosque. Its unique and diverse. I have a good friend named Sara who smiles as she see’s me exit out of the gym. Her blonde hair sticks a little bit of of her *hijab (Islamic head covering/dress code for Women.)  I try to tell her quietly so she doesn't get embarrassed and the boys dont notice. But it really doesn't matter now for we were still young children back then. After we eat lunch we go to the long, winding and bronze hallway to find our Arabic teacher. I always get lost in that hallway because there are so many rooms! Oh if only you could see what i see! I like the hallways though...the neat thing about the mosque is that everything is decorated with elaborate geometric shapes and stunning Arabic letters.  Finally I spot my teacher in the library.

Free writes

#2  Title : The Orphan's pledge

Narrator: Holding on to the ledge she acts like nothing has happened. The only thing her she can do is stare in terror as the fire erupts in large bursts.

“ Hey! Amaya! Don't just stand there!” Yelled the strange boy with bright green eyes, jet black hair and olive skin.

“ What....who are you?”

“It doesn't matter now! Come on! I’ll explain everything soon!”

Amaya: The boy ran over to me dodging the falling wall chunks while he gasped for air as the thick smoke blackened. The nameless boy ran to Amaya, picked her up and made his way down the stairs. Then there was the door. Fire surrounded it. The only option now was the broken window by the brick vacant church.

“Ok! Im going to jump! Ready?”

“Ok. “

Amaya: I felt myself in the air. The boy was still holding me as we fell from the air like dove feathers. I closed my eyes and when i opened them the boy looked into my eyes. We weren't falling through the air now. I placed my hand down. I felt cool grass with dew brushing the tops of it. It felt somewhat soothing.

“You ok..Amaya?”

“Im ok. Thanks for helping me.”

“No problem. No need to thank me.”

“Why?”

“Because...I wanted to help you. I hate to see you like that.”

“Like...what?”

“ You know....you looked all scared.”

“Oh...hey. can i ask you something?”

“Yes?”

“What's your name and how do you know me?”

“You don't remember me?”

“No....but...i feel like i’ve known you a while.”

“Oh. Well my name is Mumin. I grew up in the Gillard's orphanage with you.”

Free writes

#3  Title: Iowa against the world..I want out!

What do i see outside my bedroom window? Haa! Nothing but thick corn fields and farms! Nothing but dark skies at times accompanied by ringing sounds of shrieking crows! I HATE IT HERE! It’s like im trapped in a box...a box i fear I may be stuck in.

My window is small unlike most of the homes i live by. There are two farms in the area along with the Johnson county fair grounds. I can see hills and hills of green space. It’s quite boring most of the time but in winter its beautiful.

I like how in winter everything is white and covered in small spaces of ice . I dont like seeing green and lots of corn fields. Its to plain Jane for me. When graduation comes knocking and I move out...I hope to see the best of things. Looking out my window............

Looking out my window...........

Whats it like?

Hmmmmmmm. Its torment in the most odd of a form because I fear that Iowa is starting to make me soft. I dont like that. I miss seeing the nice skyscrapers in the summer when i would go visit Chicago and New york. I miss walking through the litttle markets with my friends and taking the water taxi to Chicago’s navy pier.

I can’t think of that now. Its because im looking out my bedroom window. The one thing i hate the most. Its suffocates me into thinking ; “is there really anything more than this?”

Ugh. I rather close my eyes.

But than again. Its better than seeing graves cracked and  un -attened or scenes from War. Its better than breathing in lots of harmful chemicals and waste that you would have to deal with when you live in a bigger city like New york.

Sometimes its peaceful. Especially when its winter. I like the snow flakes gently falling on my windowsill. Its fun to watch in the night.