Chapter one

A mansion blazed bright orange in the dark of the night on a private island. A man runs from the building, his clothes a little singed. He was the owner of the island and all the buildings on it, especially the mansion. But he was safe, and that was all that mattered to the public. It was all over the news: John Cassowary is saved from his burning home, real action stunt by John Cassowary.

But did anyone remember his three adopted disabled children? No one cared about them. There were no reports on that.

So, what happened to them?

We ran away to the Yeti.

Chapter one

"Lei! Come on!" said a voice came from the smoke. I grabbed Blue's hand and ran blindly into the smoke.

If you haven't guessed already, my house is on fire. Well, it's not my house, but Mr. Cassowary's house. But I lived here.

Unloved.

Unnoticed.

Not cared about.

I did have a person who cared about me. One person in this whole mansion.

"Lei! Where are you? Come on!" Jill called from inside the smoke. I picked my whistle up with my spare hand and shoved it in between my teeth. I blew one short sharp blow into the whistle.

Making sure I was still holding onto Blue's hand, I ran towards Jill's voice. Smoke filled my lungs and I was finding it hard to breathe. I started to cough.

Running blindly in the smoke, I blew my whistle again. My backpack jingled on my back as I ran.

Suddenly, I ran into something. Well, not a something, a someone. It was Jill.

"Come on!" she yelled at me. We ran towards the door, surrounded in a thick smoke, making it look hazy. Jill thrust the door open and we ran as fast as we could through it.

Then we heard high pitched screaming.

It was Blue.

Being autistic, he didn't like doing anything. Forcing him out of bed and then running around the house in smoke that made him cough madly wasn't on his agenda. The only think he liked doing was playing with his blanket.

Blanket!

It would have gotten singed in the fire! Oh man!

I quickly spun around to Blue who was standing there screaming. He was holding a blackened pile of threads in his hand. He was not happy.

We had tried giving him a different blanket before, but it never worked. He just screamed. No words, just high pitched screaming.

I shot a worried look at Jill. She bit her lip.

"We have to keep moving. We'll deal with it later." She didn't look too sure.

We continued to move up the hill with Blue screaming behind us. It took a lot of effort to drag him along too. He didn't want to move, he just wanted to stand there and scream.

So much for trying to sneak away.

Ok, so let me explain. None of us at Cassowary House were loved by Mr. Cassowary. He only adopted us because he wanted to look good. He knew us by name, but not past that. He hired some people to look after us.

That was three years ago.

So, we did the natural thing. We made a plan to run away.

We had backpacks filled with food and water for at least a week. We also had clean clothes and the essentials: phones, tooth brushes and toothpaste, simple first aid kit, equipment for Blue's autism, Jill's pills and my stuff. By my stuff I mean my whiteboard and my cards.

I am mute.

We reached the top of the hill. The view was amazing. I just wanted to stay here forever.

Except for the high pitched screaming.

And the blaring fire truck alarms.

And the smell of smoke.

And how fudging high we were!

Realising how high we were, I took a step back from the edge. That didn't really help much. I could still see the river far below. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Yep, I was going to throw up.

Turing away from the edge, I swallowed vomit. Yuck! I let go of Blue's hand and he resorted to screaming while siting cross legged on the grass. I took some deep breaths and calmed myself down. Was I really scared of heights?

Well, you learn something new everyday.

Jill shot me a worried look. "Are you okay?" she asked.

I gave her a thumbs up and gave her my best fake smile. She didn't look convinced, but she waved at us to continue anyway.

We continued to climb up the hill. It was tiring work, especially for a five year old screaming. Blue soon grew very tired and we had to carry him up the hill. I gave my bag to Jill and then gave Blue a piggy back up the hill. To be honest, I don't know what was worse.

The stars above us shone brightly. That was good, because otherwise we wouldn't be able to see. We couldn't use any torches, because that would attract too much attention to ourselves. But, would they come after us anyway?

I doubt it.