Chapter 20

Chapter 20 (woot woot)

Partially Edited.

--- Recap ---

River’s face was that of shock as he took my hands in his, “I will stop him, I promise you.”

I shook my head and took a step closer to River’s warm body calming as his smell engulfed my senses, “Don’t you dare count me out.”

-----

River’s POV:

Setting: Before Addison entered his office and found out her father had murdered a pack member.

I felt the anger course through my body as I let my eyes absorb the words that stared back at me. I held my wolf back knowing that he wanted to take hold of the situation and kill the person who was responsible for this threat. Hell, I was right there with him.

I enhanced my hearing trying to see if Addison was safe and smiled when I heard her angelic voice speaking to Rebecca. After feeling satisfied that Addison was safe I turned to my beta, Hayden, who was staring at me with a worried expression.

“Dude, what does that even mean?” He asked nodding his head towards the paper in my hands. I folded the paper back up and tucked it into the back pocket of my jeans before running my hands through my hair, something I had done a hundred times since I had read the letter.

I sighed closing my eyes, “I have no idea, all I know is that he is a threat and he won’t be coming anywhere near this pack house or Addison. I want more border patrols running every day, making sure to switch wolves out when they are getting too tired. I need people on their A game involving this matter.”

Hayden nodded in agreement before I heard a small tentative knock on my office door. I tensed and tried to relax by leaning back into my office chair.

Hayden sent me a look asking me if he could answer the door and opened it when I gave him the go ahead. I could smell her scent the minute the door was an inch open and breathed it in hoping that it would ease my nerves.

I couldn’t see Addison due to Hayden standing in the doorway blocking me from her beauty but I was slightly grateful knowing that I needed them extra seconds to think about what I was going to say.

I wasn’t paying attention to what he was saying to my mate or his but it only took him a few seconds to exit the room, Rebecca eagerly following after him. My eyes met Addison’s and I felt my body immediately respond with my groin growing.

She looked just as nervous as I felt before she entered the room almost unsure of what to do. Trying to ease her nerves I raised my hand and beckoned her to my side smiling as she eagerly walked over and sat on my lap.

She raised her hands to interlock at the back of my neck causing me to shiver at the intense pleasure that radiated throughout my body. I smiled at how proud she looked before resting my hand on her knew, drawing small circles.

“How are you?” I asked our faces on centimetres apart.

She shrugged her shoulders and broke eye contact to look around the room nervously. I quickly rehearsed what I was going to say before holding her chin to bring her face back to mine.

“There’s something I need to tell you.” I almost winced at my own words immediately wishing I had said something more comforting. Her body stilled as her blue eyes widened.

“There was… a pack member found.”

She let out a small whine causing me to pull her closer to my body. I kissed her shoulder not wanting to push anything hoping that it would help to calm her nerves that were seeping from her pores.