Chapter 9

I sat with Jackson as we drove through the night towards Spokane. My internal clock said we had another hour before sunrise. There was still forest on the right side of the road, but on the left the trees had opened up to wide fields with houses scattered around, set back from the main road with small winding paths. I was fine with sitting in silence, but Jackson kept the conversation going, his voice low so he wouldn't disturb Nia and Paul sleeping in the back. There was one thing I'd wanted to know, and I twisted slightly in my seat. 

"How did you three end up together?" They seemed like such unlikely people to be together, to protect each other. 

Jackson smiled at me, though I didn't see how my question was funny.

"Oh, that's a story. So, about four years ago, I was in Chicago, great city, it's on the way so you'll see for yourself, anyways, I was staying in a Blood Hotel and was served this gorgeous man, and his blood just sang to me." He shot a look my way. "Ever had that happen to you? I mean, I know you're young, but if you are lucky you get to feed on a human who just connects to every fiber of your being. I knew I couldn't leave without him, so I paid for another night and asked the hotel specifically for him. I know they have policies against a human getting fed on multiple days in a row, but I gave them enough collateral that they didn't mind."

"Let me guess, that man was Paul?" 

Jackson winked at me and continued his story.

"I asked Paul that night to come with me. I'd take care of him and protect him and thankfully he had felt something between us too, so he agreed and here we are." 

"And how does Nia fit into this story?"

Jackson let out a soft chuckle. "Nia is a force to be reckoned with. Paul and I found her as two vampires were about to kill her in an alley in Chicago. Paul, bless his human heart, convinced me to help her so I did. I killed the two vamps and Paul kept Nia alive enough to explain our situation."

"She just accepted you like that. Because you saved her life?" I looked over at him and he was grinning.

"No, she hated my guts for the longest time. Didn't trust me to be anywhere near her, but she connected with Paul, and he convinced her that I posed no harm, that I would protect her as well. We then left Chicago and the rest is history."

Five years they had stuck together. I thought about Dennis and Johan, how we had grown up together in the worst of situations but had complete trust in each other. 

"After my parents were killed, I found two boys, brothers, and we stuck together for several years. We went through so much together."

"What happened to them?" Jackson's voice was soft, caring. 

"They died. Killed by King Shax's goons the night I was captured."

"Didn't you say your maker caught you?"

I shrugged. "Our situation is complicated."

"But you're still going after him?"

"I have to. I need to." 

"I get it. Unfortunately, my maker wasn't as lovable as you make yours out to be."

"What happened with them?" I couldn't imagine any other maker than Nox. Did all makers not care for the vampire they turned? 

"The bitch's name was Celeste, she was a terrible sire and I killed her the first chance I got."

A beat of silence. 

"I'm guessing there's more to that story."

"Sure, but it ain't worth telling."

The endless road went on. I consulted my map, but Jackson didn't seem too interested in it. He seemed to know where he was going, though it wasn't too hard as we only went straight. Through the side window I thought I caught glances of figures running through the trees, no doubt other vampires, but whether they were simply running or hunting I didn't know. There were no other cars or vans on the road, the only lights were the stars and the moon up above.