12

[ BULLDOGS VS. SERPENTS ]

word count, 699

word count, 699

Jade laid on the old beaten down couch, not being able to sleep. Her brother wasn't home and hadn't answered her texts. She was worried and her mind always went to the worst possible situation, making her anxiety worse than it already was. She tried to distract he mind by watching TV. But, the TV only allowed her mind to wander more. She grabbed the remote, quickly shutting off the television. She tossed and turned before completely kicking her blanket off of her body, coming to the conclusion it was way to hot in the trailer.

She heard the sound of the door and turned her head. Her younger brother walked into the trailer, soaking wet. As he put his jacket on the hook, Jade spoke, "Why are you soaking wet?"

Jughead gasped before mumbling, "Oh my god.." he put his hand on his heart then slipped off his shoes, "I didn't know you were awake."

"I couldn't sleep." She said, pushing herself up and leaning against the back of the sofa.

"Betty and I figured out the cypher the black hood wrote, it said he was going to the town hall."

"Oh," she said, not really knowing what to answer.

Jade was watching TV late into the night when she heard her phone buzz. She reached over and grabbed it, seeing that it was Sweet Pea. He had texted her, asking if she could come over quickly.

She got up and slipped on her shoes and serpent jacket, not caring that she was going over there with only an old T-shirt under her jacket and a pair of flannel pajama shorts on.

She opened the door and ran over to the boy's trailer, it only being about a 30 second run.

She went ahead and pushed the door open, not caring about knocking.

She saw his bathroom door open and the light on. She heard Sweet Pea rummaging through the cabinets and walked over, seeing the boy looking in the cabinet over the sink.

"What are you doing?"

Sweet Pea jumped at her sudden presence. He hit his head on the cabinet and swore under his breath.

When he did move, Jade was able to see his injured face.

"What happened?" She says as he stands up.

"Uh, there was a fight." Sweet Pea said, "Bulldogs vs. Serpents."

"Why didn't you tell me?" She said, punching his shoulder.

"Ow." He said, watching as she swiftly walked over to the cabinet above the toilet and grabbed the first aid kit. "Oh.. that's where it is."

They went into the kitchen where there was better light for her to help him.

He sat on one of the stools as she stood, looking through the first aid kit.

"Why didn't you all tell me?"

"Um.. We didn't want you to intervene."

She stopped dabbing the cotton ball on his forehead for a moment, but went back at it.

"You mean, you thought this would've got personal for me because I used to be a Northsider."

"No, no.."

"If anyone thinks I'll go easy on the Northside, you've got me wrong." Jade said. "The Serpents are my family, not them."

"I—" Sweet Pea was cut off by a knock on the door.

Sweet Pea sighed as Jade got up and walked over to it, Sweet Pea getting up to follow behind her.

She opened it to see Sheriff Keller.

"Who would've thought that Jade Jones would be behind another fight." Sheriff Keller said, eyes flickering between her and Sweet Pea. "Do you realize that this is your third offense, Jade?"

"She had nothing to do with the fight, Sheriff Keller." Sweet Pea said.

"Why is she here then?"

"I texted her to help me with my injuries." Sweet Pea said. "She really has nothing to do with it. She didn't even know until a few minutes ago."

"Is this true, Jade?"

"Yeah." She said, knowing that she couldn't get a third offense, "I was at home."

"Alone?"

"No, Jughead's there." She said.

"Okay.." Sheriff Keller said then looked up at Sweet Pea, "But I will have to take you down to the station for questioning."