Chapter 1

16 years ago..

The cold wind was blowing mercilessly, not knowing about how wrong things were going on in the once serene kingdom of Alemor.

Houses were burnt; women were running around frantically searching for their children. Some men were standing still with blank faces; while others were sleeping forever, buried deep in the earth, getting the 'fruit' of their bravery.

In the kingdom, things weren't any better. There was a big 'decision making' going on—and the results would decide everyone’s future. Everyone’s.

***

Queen's P.O.V

In the misty light of dawn, a part of my head wondered how this strange procession might be looking to anyone—by  procession I meant my 5 guards, the minister, my protector, and myself—but that was just the state of a part of my mind.

The rest was still not over the shock of losing a husband involuntarily and about to lose a daughter voluntarily.

What will she look like when she grows? As she grows up, her features might get even more enhanced, bringing out her pure soul within. Will she turn out to be a normal teen, or will she just be lost in the dangerous and murky outside world?

As those questions raced through my head, I looked down upon the most beautiful baby girl in the world. My baby!

I took in everything of her—her mouth, her hair, her soft skin, her chubby cheeks—as I knew that this would probably be the last time I ever see her; because today, she will be sent away.

I looked down upon her sleeping face, and bend my head to lightly touch my lips to her forehead.

Looking at her face again, I thanked the heavens that this sleeping state of hers was not forever; that after a few couple of hours she would wake to a new world.

This thought brought sorrowful tears to my eyes; tears a mother would have when she was about to lose her daughter.

But before those tears could roll down my cheeks, I wiped them away.

No, I had to be stronger than this. What was I thinking? Crying over here is not my option. She has to be sent away. If I keep her here; she dies. If she goes, she lives, and also becomes our hope.

Sending her away was the right choice. As the queen of Alemor, I have to do sacrifices. This will be one of my greatest sacrifice.

I looked ahead at the forest that was looming up, and I mustered up all my courage. I could hear the footsteps of my procession behind me very clearly due to the pressing silence around. I noticed that someone had left the uniform procession to come to me.

As the footsteps drew nearer, I don't turn back to see who it was. A dark figure comes up and stands beside me.

I flicked my eyes towards it. The feeling of relief, which I hadn't experienced for quite a long time, rushes through me. It was my protector—Marcus.

I looked at him; into his dark black eyes, which was doing its best to hide the utter pain and sorrow within him.

Anyone else wouldn't have been able to see beneath his mask, but I could. As for me, he was less of a protector and more of a brother. I knew only too well that it was equally painful for him to be parting Rayna away from us.

And worse, he had to do the job. 

"Your Highness, it's time."

The moment he uttered those words, I could feel my insides tearing up. With a lot of difficulty, I held back my sob. I had to be strong.

"Yes, I know. But, I guess, asking a little more time would be too much?"

"I'm afraid that's not possible,” he said, his eyes slowly resting on Rayna, "and your highness, you know that it’s very important for her to leave right away before anything worse happens. She will live a better life there. And I myself promise that she will be back. But for now, she has to leave before the door to the other world gets closed."

I nodded as I had already known it, "Yes, I know. It's time. She has to go. She will be back for the greater good, but till then,” I forced the rest of the words out, “we have to part."

Marcus gave me a knowing nod. He knew that I was trying too hard to act up to my royalty and not to my motherhood. He knew only too well that I was dying inside.

He gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze of assurance, and it felt good, because I trusted him more than anyone after my late husband. He outstretched his arms towards mine and I slowly handed him my baby. 

He took her gently and left me as he walked towards the door on the huge golden-leafed tree that stood a bit inside the forest which lined the northern side of our palace.

The tree was a piece of beauty and also of security. It held the door which was the only connection between the magic world and the Manus world.

The rest of our procession joined me. However, they stayed a little back, maintaining a respectful distance.

Marcus reached the door and whispered the password softly. The huge door creaked open and a bright light came out of it - the light of the path to the outside world.

Marcus looked back at me and gave me a weak, sad smile—which I returned with a forced half smile of my own—before stepping inside the door.

The old, golden door—which showed no sign of weakness throughout the centuries and still held its shine—closed with a loud thud.

I kept staring at it till it disappeared. The door was closed for today.

Marcus will be back tomorrow at dawn, when the door opens again. He would give me the news, and again be gone at morning as he would be keeping an eye on my daughter till the time comes when his son will take over the job for him. 

"Goodbye Rayna. I will see you soon." I whispered.

"If I must survive till then", I added as an after-thought.

I headed back to my palace with my group, and retired to my quarters where I could get some privacy.

And only after I was alone did I let myself cry my heart out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - Vas Happenin?! Lia and Rima here.So that was the very FIRST chapter of our FIRST book ^_^. Hope u guys liked it.

Btw you might find this chapter pretty...sad. Well it was a departure..so ofc. But the second chapter will be in a completely different setting :D And let us know if u liked the kingdom name x) it was kept after a long discussion :P

Please VOMMENTAN! (vote+comment+fan) We need it! The first person to do so.....will be dedicated this chapter :) And if u have ANY queries then feel free to ask...we don't bite ;)

Ooooh and, we will be dedicating upcoming chapters to people who VOMMENTAN :D so if not this time, your chance will come soon. Like REALLY soon XD.

Sunshine and Roses,

Rima & Lia <33