Episode 7 (Part 2)

PIDGE POV

"So you're coming to the party too, right?" I asked Keith as he scoffed down a peanut butter cookie. 

"'Course," he reclined on a bean bag and switched on the video game console. 

"I mean, what kinda thing d'you think we're supposed to wear?" I inspected the inside of my wardrobe. Keith snorted from behind me.

"Why would I know? Or care?" His eyes remained fixed on the screen. 

"Hey!" I snapped a finger in front of his face. "I'm offering you safe harbour, and this is how you repay me?" Keith sighed and paused the TV. 

"Let's have a look then. Why do you care, anyway?" He wrinkled his nose at the interior of my wardrobe. "And where's the black?" I gave him a harsh look.

"I don't care, it's just... parties make me nervous. I mean... big groups of people?" I performed an exaggerated shiver of dread. "Maybe I won't go. To be honest, we shouldn't be doing this. Lotor, one of our greatest enemies, is literally on the same ship as us! I just made cookies with him!" I fiddled with the hem of my hoodie. "There are just more important things than partying right now." 

"Be quiet." Keith rolled his eyes. "We should have some fun. And anyway, Commander Curtis is on Lotor Duty tonight. If anyone can stop something bad happening, it's him." He grabbed a skirt and a green T-shirt. "There." Keith checked his watch. "We could probably head over soon," I nodded.

"Turn around," I ordered Keith. He went back over to the TV while I hurriedly pulled on the clothes. I inspected myself in the mirror and sighed. "Okay. Let's go."

***

Keith and I gawked in amazement as we entered Rizavi's quarters.

"How come it's so big?" Keith protested. 

"Rizavi shares this room with me." We spun round to see Ina Leifsdottir standing behind us. 

"As there are two of us, we get twice the space, which is fortunate." She narrowed her eyes. "Not that I wanted Nadia to use our space for parties." She departed quickly to stop Nadia from blowing up more balloons.

"WOOO!" The room was silenced at the ear-splitting yells coming from James Griffin, who was clutching a microphone. "I'm your DJ for tonight, and it's time to paaaaarty!" Keith groaned.

"He better shut up. I'm going to get a headache." He sighed. "I better go and advise his music choices." As Keith walked away, I felt someone approach behind me.

"Why is he here?" Lance complained into my ear. 

"Who?"
Lance pointed into the far corner, away from the music and the food. Lotor sat quietly, nibbling on some party food, next to Commander Curtis, who was chatting amiably to Shiro. 

"Are Shiro and Curtis friends?" I asked.

"Must be, if Shiro invited him here." I hummed in agreement. 

"C'mon. Let's grab some food." I dragged him away from Lotor's corner.

LANCE POV

It became later and later, and I eventually gave up on a dance with Allura. I was sitting with Pidge, Veronica, Acxa, and Hunk, but my mind was elsewhere. Across the room, Lotor and Allura seemed immersed in deep conversation, and I hated it. I couldn't place exactly why, but I knew I hated it. I was concentrating so hard on glaring at them that I didn't notice Pidge until her face was right in front of me.

"Hey," She smiled. "Do you want to do something?" The music was quite loud and lots of people were gracing the dance floor, including Shiro and Curtis, who were doing some kind of awkward dad dance. I shook my head miserably.

"No thanks." Pidge rolled her eyes.

"What are you so sad about?" She followed my gaze to where Allura was now deep in an explanation of something, leaning towards the chained prisoner. "Oh." Her face fell and she scowled. "C'mon. You can't mope all night." She took my arm. I was pulled onto the dance floor. How did this happen? I craned my neck to catch another glimpse of Allura and Lotor, but she yanked me forcefully, forcing me to stoop down until we were at eye level.
"Don't you dare look back." Her cheeks were flushed from the heat of the room, and the blush partially obscured her freckles. I tried to pry her hand off my arm.

"I don't-"

"Keep your eyes on me." She let go of me, but I did as she said. Her hair stuck up chaotically, looking bronze in the dim light, and her eyes sparkled. We tried to dance, but Pidge was as incompetent as she always had been, and she quickly settled for bobbing in time to the beat. 

"You're holding back," I remarked, and the music changed to a slow, quiet song.

"Shut up." She stopped, and stood in the centre of the makeshift dance floor, being jostled by everyone as they found partners for the slow dance. Nadia whooped and grabbed Kinkade, who looked deadpan, but I'm pretty sure I saw a hint of excitement in his eyes as they passed. Hunk, Keith and James were standing awkwardly to the side but watched in amazement as Shiro and Curtis took to the floor. I sneaked a look at Allura, but she was still chatting with Lotor. When I turned back, I was met with Pidge's disappointed eyes. She grimaced and started to make her way towards where the others were dancing.
"Wait! Pidge!" I ran to grab her hand, and when I did my momentum carried me forward until we were centimetres apart. I tried to step back, but Nadia elbowed my back as she twirled past and I was forced even closer. Pidge craned her neck and met my eyes. 

"I won't look anywhere but you," I promised. She smiled.

"Look, Lance, I get it. You really like her. But that doesn't mean your life revolves around her. Just- Don't forget that you have a life too. Why not you go ask her for a dance, instead of using me as a replacement?" She started to pull away again.

"No, wait-" I squeezed her hand ."I don't want to."

"What?" 

"Dance with her." 

"Yeah, right." 

"She's nice and everything-"

Pidge groaned passionately. "You're unbelievable." Her forehead furrowed into little creases when she frowned. "You don't need to spare my feelings, Lance-"

"But I don't want to dance with her." I was staring. Before I could avert my gaze it was too late. She noticed my attention and blushed furiously. "I'd rather hang out with you.

"For God's sake, just-" She puffed out a breath. "Shut up, and dance with me."

So I did.