Chapter Three

Half Moon Street, London

Sophie Penderry pressed her forehead to the cool windowpane and peered at the quiet street below. A lady and a gentleman took a morning stroll under the lilac trees, engaged in happy conversation. When they walked out of sight, the view was still once more. There was no sign of traffic, pedestrians or the postman. Sophie's sigh fogged the glass.

"It's been two weeks now, Harry. Where is he? Oh, I know what you're thinking. My big brother is an independent man, with a job and his own house, he can go wherever he pleases. And why should he tell me if he plans to go away?" She pulled a face. "But he's only twenty one. And if he was going travelling he would tell us. That's the sort of considerate brother Jim is. He wouldn't let us worry like this."

Harry didn't make a sound. With a louder sigh, Sophie turned away from the window and looked at her grandmother's cat. Harry lay on the bed, paws tucked neatly in against her chest with her eyes half closed. Sophie wandered over and sat next to the cat, running a hand down her soft back. "I do hope he's all right. Come on, girl. Let's go and have breakfast."

With Harry in her arms, she made her way downstairs and found her grandmother, Primrose, taking breakfast in the dining room. A medley of food greeted her on the sideboard, but even the mountains of grilled bacon, devilled kidneys and kedgeree couldn't lift her mood. Primrose, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying her morning meal.

"Good morning, Grandmother," she said, putting Harry down to fill a saucer with cream.

The cat meowed excitedly and began lapping the milk the moment the dish was placed on the floor. Sophie poured herself a steaming cup of Darjeeling and joined the old woman at the table. Perhaps the tea would help raise her spirits.

"Good morning, Sophie." Primrose devoured a mushroom and then raised an eyebrow at her. "Is something wrong?"

"I'm still concerned for James."

"Of course. It is a worry, lamb. Such a worry. But he is a grown man now. Here, have some prunes."

"No, thank you." Sophie stirred a spoonful of honey into her tea.

"It's still early. He may return today."

"Perhaps. I'll send a servant to his house again."

Primrose offered her a sympathetic smile. "Have faith, my darling."

"I do try, but it's so unlike Jim not to send word of his whereabouts. It's been a fortnight now. What if he's been involved in an accident?"

"I'm certain we would have been informed by now if that were the case."

Sophie's spirits sank lower. "Yes, I suppose you're right. But then, where can he be?"

At that moment, an urgent knocking sounded at the front door and Sophie jumped to her feet. The butler, Edgar, answered the door and raised voices ensued, followed by determined footsteps.

Sophie and Primrose turned their eyes to the door and a stern looking lady appeared, closely followed by a boy with a wailing infant in his arms. The boy was thirteen year old George Penderry, to be precise - Sophie's younger brother - and he was carrying Jim's ward, Felicity.

Harry abandoned her breakfast, thoroughly offended by the baby's cries, and shot out through the door.

Edgar was on the woman's heels, looking apologetic at his failure to hold her back. "A thousand pardons, Misses, she wouldn't wait."

"It's alright, Edgar," Primrose reassured him over the sound of Felicity's crying. "George, this is a surprise."

He answered with a grin and a bow of his head. "Dear Grandmother, good morning."