Second Scene

Carley’s blood still hummed with the aftereffects of her nocturnal visit to Detective Brandon’s home. It had been quite a while since she’d used the simple basics she’d learned from her father. Usually she preferred to rely on technology but she wasn’t surprised to find the rush was still there for the old ways.

But beyond that was the image of the man’s face still imprinted on her brain. God, he was attractive. With dark hair, dark eyes, broad shoulders and an absolutely fabulous set of abs, he was definitely going to make this job a bit easier. Down, girl. You’re not here for sex…at least not yet…not until you know what’s going on with Dani.

A single schoolteacher who rarely dated, Dani was Carley’s kid sister, and up until three days ago they’d talked every day, sometimes more than once. Then Dani had become unreachable. No returned phone calls and no answers. After seventy-two hours Carley’s internal radar had gone into overdrive and she’d taken a red-eye from New York to Charleston.

Her cell phone trilled and she pulled it out of her purse.

“Carley, thank God. Where are you? I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” Janet’s voice held a note of censure. Carley’s right hand, Janet prided herself on running a tight ship. Ordinarily nothing got past her so her disapproval didn’t come as a surprise.

“I’m in Charleston.”

“South Carolina?” Janet’s voice edged up a notch. “Is something wrong with Dani?”

“I’m not sure. It’s probably nothing but I wanted to check.” Pushing herself off the bed, Carley walked alongside the paneled bar in the hotel room that screamed wealth and whispered discretion. Sitting adjacent to the Battery in downtown Charleston, the classy Barrister Hotel afforded travelers and vacationers an extraordinary view of the Atlantic Ocean and, though most probably weren’t interested in this additional sight, a panoramic glimpse of the local police department.

Carley couldn’t have asked for a better room, although the one hundred dollar bill she’d slipped the clerk had, no doubt, afforded her the accommodations that met her exact specifications.

Silence stretched across the line and Carley could practically see the wheels turning in her assistant’s head. “How long will you be there?”

“I’m not sure about that, either.”

“You do realize we have a job Friday, right?”

Carley almost laughed at the “we”. In truth, she had a job to do. Though by now she’d managed to amass a tidy fortune, Carley had resisted Janet’s repetitive suggestions to hire a team. Maybe it had something to do with the adrenaline rush or just the memories of her father. Either way, she still risked her freedom at least once a month.

“Carley?”

“I’m here.” But Carley had already begun to drift from the conversation. She didn’t want to talk or worry about Friday’s job, not when she had no clue if her sister had gotten herself into some kind of trouble. “We may have to postpone Friday.”

“Postpone? Carley, it’s not a business meeting. The target will be available on Friday only. With the Forresters out of town until Saturday morning it’s the perfect time to acquire the merchandise, and we already have a buyer.”

Trying to massage away a beginning migraine, Carley stood at the window, staring out at the glittering lights reflecting off the ocean. “I know, but I haven’t heard from Dani in three days. I’m not leaving here until I know what’s happened to her.”

“And what am I supposed to tell your client?” The bark of disapproval sent Carley’s temper soaring.

“Tell him he’ll get the damn painting when I get it.” She ended the conversation, knowing she’d call later and apologize to Janet. For now she needed a few hours’ sleep before she made her next connection with the detective.

En route to the bed, she made a quick detour by the bar and poured herself a shot of straight scotch. Staring up at her from a silver frame was Dani’s innocent gaze. The alcohol burned in her stomach like an untamed fire. Carley slammed the glass down onto the countertop and whirled away.

“Dammit, Dani, where in the hell are you?”