Chapter 2

A/N: This chapter is still a flashback, Naruto is now 13. The next chapter will be present day, where he is 15.

*Time skip: 1 year later*

Naruto was tired of pretending to be dead last. He knew that it was for his own safety, since the villagers decided he wasn't worth the time after that last, painful attack. He knew that his skill far surpassed Sasuke and Sakura, maybe even Kakashi sensei thanks to Kurama and Jiraiya. Even the 3rd Hokage now knew just how strong he was, after successfully killing Oorochimaru when he attacked during the Chuunin exams 6 months prior. But he wasn't able to take credit for it, as the villagers would suspect it was actually "the demon" controlling him.

He needed a challenge, something to hone his skills and allow him to protect those he loves. That was why today, he was meeting with Hiruzen to ask to become a member of the ANBU Black Ops.

"Naruto, you're much too young to take the ANBU exam. I know that you're among the strongest Shinobi in the village, but no one else does. I don't want you hurt," the 3rd Hokage sighed.

"Jiji, please. I know I can do it. Pervy Sage and Kurama have been helping me," the blonde pleaded. He did not want to be stuck doing more D-Ranks, or the rare C-Rank. Thanks to the interruption of the Chuunin exams, he was still a damn Genin.

"Fine. You may take the exam. But if you fail, promise me you will drop this idea until you are 18. Rise through the ranks as everyone else does," Hiruzen said reluctantly. He understood his adopted grandson's frustrations, but he valued his safety above all else. The idea of a 13 year old Naruto taking on the most dangerous nin in the world was not an appealing thought.

"THANK YOU JIJI! YOU WON'T REGRET IT! BELIEVE IT!" Naruto shouted running out of the office before Hiruzen could change his mind. He had to train overtime in order to prepare for the ANBU exam happening that Saturday, so he headed out to "The Forest of Death" to get to business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ANBU exam came and went, and it was so much easier than Naruto ever expected. Thanks to his use of Shadow Clones to train, he was able to defeat the top 5 ANBU members in combat and was welcomed to the organization under the codename Kuro Kitsune, or Black Fox. He was able to take the test under a Henge, so that no one would know his true identity. Afterall, even some of the ANBU resent him for the Kyuubi attack since they lost their family and friends that night. He doesn't blame them, it's not like they ever took their anger out on him the way the rest of the village seemed to. No, the ANBU members that hate him still upheld their oath to protect the citizens and follow the laws of the village. That was part of why Naruto wanted to join so badly. They were true shinobi, they stuck to their nindo. They were respctful, and in turn the majority of villagers respected them. Naruto could only hope to command such respect from the villagers that hated his very existence. But he was going to prove himself to them if it was the last thing he did, believe it!

A/N: Okay so this chapter is short and kinda sucks. But I really wanted to get into the main story next chapter while still providing enough background as to how Naruto is still a Genin and when/why he entered ANBU. As well as why Hiruzen remains alive in this fic.

Ja ne!