Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Dawson followed the princess to family library where she had some of her paintings on display. It was fine for them to talk in a public setting where the staff was walking about but certainly not anywhere more private like they had done outside his room last night. It was such a relief they hadn’t been caught and forced to answer embarrassing questions.

Honestly he couldn’t bring himself to look at the beautiful portraits she created with her imagination and hands, his focus wouldn’t leave the woman herself. Her hair was a dark chestnut brown cascading down her shoulders and back, every so often a strand would fall across her cheek and his fingers itched to brush it back behind her ear. The forbidden law of it all wasn’t far from his mind and yet it wasn’t enough to snuff out his thoughts.

There was a twinkle behind her equally dark eyes as she spoke to him about each paining. She was excited to share her work with someone else and he made sure to keep her talking. It wasn’t a hardship; he liked the soft tone of her voice. There sadly wasn’t anything he disliked about Lucia and it was sad for the simple fact the only outcome would be heart break with undisclosed desires. She was set to be married within the following year, she looked happy with the French man too. Whatever Dawson felt was best to stay under lock and key deep in the pits of his heart.

His thoughts wouldn’t let him be and went on to think about another reason he and Lucia would never work. Besides the obvious of her engagement and his employee for her family he wasn’t a full bred lion. Because of that his selection of women were limited all around. Every woman wanted a strong powerful lion on their arm because lion represented strength, a royal connection to the king and queen, in a nutshell ion represented belonging to something bigger than yourself.

Dawson was both a werelion and a werewolf, his father being the lion and mother being the wolf. He didn’t blame them, he admired them for breaking down barriers and following the love they had for each other. Dawson didn’t think he was weak, he was one of the few that could take on two animals, shifting into either one at his choice. He fought to make a name for himself and it worked because now he was a private aid to the King himself. He wanted to show the other half breeds out there everything was possible and your lineage didn’t define you no matter how society painted it. Thankfully the king wasn’t a bigot but that wasn’t to say he’d allow his daughter to associate freely with the half breed either. Dawson knew their developing friendship was going to have to be kept under wraps if she wanted to speak to him again.

“You appear in a very deep thought.” Lucia was no longer at her painting but at him with the same interest she used to point out all the details in her art work.

He smiled weakly as he was caught red handed. “I was thinking of my parents. They run a stand at the market.”

“Are they doing ill that you’re thinking of them?” she looked horrified at the notion. The princess had a big heart and that only added to the assaulting desire he felt for her. It was too bad she wasn’t an ugly mean spirited girl like some other lionesses he encountered of the years so he wouldn’t find a reason to like this forbidden fruit.

“No, nothing like that. My mother is a fan of art herself and I was only thinking about how much she’d enjoy your collection.”

Lucia blushed. “They’re not that good. I have pieces from real artists that are tremendous if you’re interested.”

“Sure.” He only wanted to spend more time with the girl. He hadn’t lied, art was something his mother enjoyed but that character trait had not been passed done to her son.

He walked a step behind the princess and admired the view of her shoulders, the narrowing of her waist cinched in by the dress she wore and down to the big poof of her skirt. She led him from the library into what looked like a private museum with portraits and artifacts taking up the large space.

“Has my father given you the tour of the palace? There are a lot of open areas for all the staff to enjoy.”

“Your father is a very busy man and I only arrived last week. There’s more than enough time for a tour later.” It was a little white lie because yes King Cahill had shown him around the public corridors of the palace but it wouldn’t hurt to see them again and with such a lovely guide.

“Nonsense, I can show you around while we wait for them to finish their run.” Lucia waved her hand for him to follow her around the museum. She showed him different artifacts she liked the most her grandmother had given to the family. She went on to tell different stories about her grandfather, the emperor of Spain, as well. From what Dawson had seen and learned over the last week the royal pride was a close nit family and very loving. It was an honor to serve such wonderful people. The king wasn’t all soft though, he was a fierce leader and well respected for his cut throat tactics when he needed to use them.

They moved from the museum over to what looked like a recreation room. On several of the tables were different games popular around their parish.  Lucia spoke a mile a minute as she continued to explain her home to him. He again didn’t pay much attention to her words but to her face as she said them. The princess looked happy to have someone to talk to.

And again she caught him lost in his own private thoughts. “Am I boring you?”

He smiled nervously as he expressed the truth. “Impossible. I must confess I am far more interested in you than this deck of cards.”

“Me?” she said, dumbstruck. “There is nothing interesting about me. I think you make a far better subject.”

His eyebrows quirked up. “How so?”

“You’re the new man in court. There isn’t a soul within these walls not curious about you and your story.” 

“I’m not very bothered about what the others are curious about but I am willing to answer any questions you have.”

Her brown eyes were wide across his face searching for answers. “Why me?”

He couldn’t tell her the truth only fractions of it. “You’ve been very kind to me from the moment we’ve met and I consider you a friend.”

She shyly dropped her eyes to the ground but not quickly enough for him not to notice the small smile playing across her mouth. “I like the sound of that. Would you like to take a walk with me and continue this conversation, friend?”

He held out his arm for her to join him. “I’d love to.”