Chapter One: The First Meeting

It's been two weeks now and my roommate and my ex are still dating. Kat had been busy these days finding books to lend to Alex. Watching her do that, I've realized that I've never done that. I've never paid much attention to Alex's hobbies when we were still together. By the looks of it, Kat really likes him and so I've resort to not tell her about my past with Alex. I wonder, does Alex know that Kat's my roommate?

“Hey Kat, have you told Alex about me?” I asked her trying to satisfy my curiosity.

“Mmmm. Not really, we always talked about books. Why?”

“Nothing. I just wondered. I mean, at some point you'll bring him home and he might be shocked that I'm here.” I responded trying not to be obvious.

“Aha! Great idea. I'll invite him over dinner!” Kat excitedly said.

 “NO! That's a really bad idea!” I'm panicking. I'm so stupid for opening that up.

 “It's about time for you to meet him.” She insisted and before I can even protest, she already sent the message to Alex.

 This is stupid. This is really a bad idea. I tried to go out but Kat asked me to stay and help her prepare dinner. What am I supposed to do? Alex still don't know about me, he might flip out. He might stop dating her. This is a really bad idea.

 “What should I cook? Chicken or pork?” Kat asked me.

 “He likes roasted chicken” I answered unattendedly.

 “You know him that much?” Kat chuckled.

 “I – I mean, I saw it in his posts. I kind of stalked him when I was bored. Check him for you.”

 “I know.” Kat smiled.

 That was safe. I should stop giving away hints that I know Alex.

 It's 6pm and we're all set waiting for Alex to knock on the door. I'm really nervous. I'm shaking and my hands are cold. Kat is all excited and dressed up.

Knock – knock.

There's the knock. I faced away from the door while Kat went to open it. I can hear my heart beat fast and heavy.

 “This is my roommate, Sam” Kat tried to introduce me. I faced them and smiled.

 “Hi, Alex. Nice to finally meet you” I saw Alex's face turn red. He's shocked too. His eyes were wide. His face is all puzzled.

“Oh. I forgot to go buy drinks!” Kat shouted breaking the awkwardness between me and Alex.

“I- I'll go buy.” I offered.

“No, I'll go. Keep him company first” Kat insisted and ran towards the door.

As soon as Kat was far, Alex fired words on me.

“WHAT'S THIS ABOUT? IS THIS ALL YOUR SETUP?!” He shouted.

“Slow down! No! I'm shocked too when Kat told me about you. Let's just not tell her about us okay?” I tried convincing him. I explained how I decided on not telling Kat.

“Are you sure about this?” He asked with a much lower voice now.

“Of course. It's been two years now. Besides, we've moved on now.” I answered confidently.

“Fine” he answered.

“Drinks are here!!!” Kat arrived holding a bag of sodas in can.

Alex looked at me in the eyes then turned away to go help Kat. I went to the table and had my seat, Kat and Alex followed.