Perfect Date

Hey you.

Yeah you, the one with the dark hair always slick from sweat, skin bronzed from too many hours spent under the sun, the angled chin and smile that manages to make my heart skip a beat. You.

Do you think five years is too long? Others would call it foolish, some even call me dumb, but it wasn't as if anyone ever found a way to tell the heart what it should and shouldn't be doing. If they did, we wouldn't have this many stories revolving around love, loss and betrayal of the heart. So I fall in that same category. I failed miserably in telling my heart to stop its ridiculous crush on you.

But do you think you could be kind enough to give me a chance? All I ask is for one chance. I'm not the prettiest, neither am I the wittiest, but what I can promise you is that I will be there for you. I'll be the one who will stay by you regardless of what the situation is. I'll do my best to make you laugh, and I'll do my best to keep the weight off your shoulders, or at the very least share the burden.

They've asked me before - what would I do if you actually gave that chance. Where would we go... To be honest, I never gave it much thought. To even get an answer out of you sounds to be something out of a fairytale. But perhaps we could go for a concert? That was how I first remembered you after all. It was that smile you wear while you jam out with your band mates, the confident way in which you stand whilst you played your electric guitar, that palpable joy that rolls off you in waves. You love music, that was a fact.

Or maybe we can go camping? You always were deft with your fingers. I remember that one camp we attended together with our friends. It was raining, and we had barely got to our campsite and we were all struggling to pitch our tents under the rain, which really wasn't helping. I was soaked through as I finished tying up the last knot that would repel the rain from our campfire so we could make some form of dinner. You came over to drape your windbreaker over my shoulders. Did you see my heart jumping out of my chest then?

Everyone has their own opinions, I guess. Some like the beach, others would pick for their first date to be at the theme park. I would go with what you want, because my perfect date would be the one in which you fall in love with me.