Chapter 7

This new revelation was somewhat, no... make that extremely, terrifying. I didn't want to seem self-centred and I convinced myself it may not be me that they were trying to kill. I mean, I hadn't actually done anything seriously bad do anyone in... well.... ever. Not enough that they'd want to kill me for it at any rate. A simple yet adequate phrase sprang to mind:

Fuck.

I slammed my laptop shut and threw myself under the covers of the bed. “Fuck.” I whispered into my pillow. The chances of sleeping were virtually nil, but it would be better than staring at the computer screen for the next twelve hours, which was exactly how long I was going to lock myself away for.

X

What!” Ilish laughed. “You've gone absolutely crazy!”

“I went crazy way before any of this happened.” I pointed out, resting my head in my hands. “But this can totally be the reason if it makes me look more normal.”

“You? Normal? Yeah, those two don't go together. But what makes you think that it was us they were aiming for?”

“I don't know for certain that it was, but no one on the list of names stood out. You and I are the only ones who have a secret which could get us killed.”

Immortal.” Ilish points out, her mouth now full of food. I pull a face and roll my eyes at her.

“Yeah. So we potentially have the secret for internal life. I've lived for nearly two centuries; I know things that most people would kill to have forgotten. I have seen things that would give you nightmare. If I had done something like what I've seen, I'd want any witnesses dead too. Especially if I found out that they lived forever.”

Ilish paused for a minute and, upon seeing my glare, swallowed her food before talking. “Okay, so let's say there is someone who's out to kill you and/or me, who are they?” I shrugged. “You don't think it could be Jeffreys do you?”

“Hon, he hasn't got enough brain cells to complete his two times tables.” I smirked. “So that's a no.”

“This is all very well, but what about your ageing?” Something connected itself in the back of my mind and I sprang to my feet, causing Ilish to jump. “Did I offend you?”

“Get your coat.” I ordered with a shake of my head. “I have work to do.” Ilish disappeared for a second then reappeared holding her overcoat.

“What are we doing?”

You are going to play good little girlfriend at the hospital. I am going law breaking.”

“That's not fair!” Ilish objected as we headed out to the car. “I want to break some stupid-ass laws with you!” She paused for a second, the passenger door open and a frown on her face. “And Xavier's not my boyfriend!”

X

I ended up shoving Ilish from the car when we arrived at the hospital. I'd end up paying for it later, but right now I needed to get my arse over to the school. Or what was left of it. It was more like half a building and a hold in the middle. I parked my car a few streets away, joining the ever growing crowd of onlookers. How sick were these people? Some of them had no connection what so ever with the school of the students in it. They were just tourists looking for a good photo.

I moved through the crown to the 'S&R' entrance, slipping inside unnoticed. So much for security. There were two porta-cabins in the car park and I picked the nearest one. I shouldered open the door and was met by a short fat man with round glasses. “You're late!” He snapped and I blinked at him.

“Uh, sorry?”

“Yeah? Well sorry doesn't move rubble. Get a suit and get moving. I aint paying you to hang around!” I rolled my eyes at his obliviousness to the situation and grabbed a blue overall and a hard hat. This was stupidly easy. Stupid like the guy in the cabin and easy like getting Ilish to admit she was secretly hoping to be Xavier's new girlfriend. But that had to be the worst kept secret in history!

I stepped onto a small pile of rubble and winced. So this is what had Casey in a coma. The only indication that it had been a school was the maths test wedged under a block of cement a few steps to my left. I bent and picked it up, recognising the name to be one of the younger boys which had died. It had an 'A' scrawled on the top. I folded it and pocketed in, making a not to return it to his parents later. I moved into the area that used to be out lunch area and looked for anything that belonged to my friends or I. My search only turned up Jasmine's homework – she'd be so pleased about thatand Xavier's coat. When nothing else sprang out I moved to ground zero.

There was a void in the debris about big enough to fit a back pack. At least that had explained how the bomb had been brought into school. Some quick maths told me that I was looking at a five meter radius. That would probably take an hour to search with everyone watching me.

Nevertheless, I found what I was looking for; a small shrapnel of shiny gold metal. It was only about the size of my little finger nail, but it was there and it may hold the answers which I needed. I slipped it into my pocket and carefully backed up towards the entrance. When I reached the cabins I ditched the hat and the overalls and made a beeline to the car.

Ilish could walk home. I had work to do.