Chapter 3

My eyes opened slowly to reveal that I was in a stark white room, surrounded with bleeping machines, plastic tubes and the distinct smell of disinfectant. I lay staring up at the marble tiled ceiling, the hard mattress feeling like a lump of rocks beneath me.

Suddenly, my memories of the previous day came flooding back like a tidal wave. Although my thoughts were a bit foggy from the remnants of anaesthetic still left in my system, I could clearly recollect how I had ended up here.

A young nurse walked briskly into the room; dark eyed and serious faced, she started to fiddle with oxygen tanks and blood pressure monitors that sat in the corner. I watched he intently from my spot on the bed, moving my head ever so slightly so that I could see around the dark blue curtain.

She turned around and our eyes immediately locked; the sad expression plastered on her face a few seconds ago was replaced with an excessively joyous smile. "Ah, good, you're awake", her voice was overly sweet and happy, like a child's sugar-iced birthday cake.

"I'll just go and get the Doctor", she scuttled out of the room and left me with my thoughts, swirling around my head like a forever-lasting tornado. The nurse was young, about 25, but her well-rehearsed fake smile and cheerful voice didn't fool me for a second.

I knew what it felt like when your cheeks hurt from smiling for too long, when you had to fight to keep your lips curved up, desperately trying not to reveal your true self. Her depression sat behind a mask, a mask that only I could see through; maybe she and I were more alike than I thought?

"Hello Rory, I'm Doctor Miller", the sound of a deep male voice shook me from my daze as I looked up to see a doctor smiling down at me. His expression didn't hold the same cold, professional smile that I was used to; his was twinkling, more genuine.

"Hi", I whispered softly, still intimidated by the tall stranger. "Your operation a few hours ago was perfectly successful. Your new stitches should be fine as long as you lay off on the physical activity, ay?" "Okay", a small grin played on my lips as he chuckled at my response.

"Right, you're good to go once the anaesthetic completely wears off. Should I send in the two young men in the waiting room?" My smile grew bigger; I couldn't believe it, Reidy and Harrison had actually stayed in the hospital, even though it was nearing 3am. "Yes please!"

Seconds later, Harrison and Reidy came walking into the room loaded down with coffee, chips, and chocolate bars. "It was all I could find from the vending machines; Whippet's going to kill me for cheating on the diet", Reidy grinned cheekily as he placed the food down on a nearby table.

"Well, what Whippet doesn't know won't hurt him", Harrison said as he grabbed a chocolate bar and started devouring it hungrily. Reidy and I both looked at Harrison with the same amused expressions. "What? I haven't eaten in like 2 hours", Harrison defended himself with his mouth full and overflowing with chewed up chocolate.

"How're the stitches feeling?" "Much better now, thanks", I smiled gratefully up at Reidy from my position on the bed. "Right, Miss Monroe, the Doctor said that you are free to leave whenever you want. Just make sure to sign out at reception", I looked at the door to see the young Nurse there, smiling her fake smile again before she walked away.

"Rory Monroe, huh?" Harrison, who had stopped eating chocolate and had started on the coffee, winked at me and I blushed a soft shade of pink. "D'you wanna go, Reidy?" I turned around to see the older man sitting with his head down, deep in thought.

"Reidy?" I asked again, a little louder this time. "Huh?" He looked at me, a dazed expression on his face. "I said let's get out of here", I grinned and he smiled back weakly; I wonder what he was thinking about?