Chapter 2: Train Ride

I was sitting in my room, on my bed, when I heard a sharp tap on the window. I quickly glanced upward and locked eyes with a small, tawny owl. In its beak was a letter. It must be my Hogwarts letter, I thought, studying the owl carefully as I moved to open the window.

Pushing the window upward, I gave the owl a small smile. It was perched on the window-sill and looking at me expectantly, no doubt waiting for me to accept the letter. I reached out slowly and grasped the letter, gently pulling it from the owl's beak. I swiftly cast the letter aside, placing it on my desk, and returned my attention to the owl. I extended my hand and began to stoke its soft brown feathers. It looked up at me contentedly, enjoying the attention. From the looks of it, it didn't get much. I pulled my hand back and smiled at the small creature. As much as I'd like it to stay, it most likely had things to do. It crooned softly at me before setting off, flying at a steady pace back to wherever it had come from. Hogwarts, probably. When it was reduced to a mere speck on the horizon, I closed the window and looked to the letter.

On the front of the envelope, my name was written in neat cursive, the black ink sharply contrasting the soft white of the paper. I turned it over in my hands and inspected the blood-red wax seal on the back, which bore the Hogwarts crest. So I was right.

I peeled off the seal and opened the envelope. Inside was a folded up piece of paper, which I smoothly removed and unfolded. It read:

"HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Minerva McGonagall

Dear Miss Hill,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl no later than July 31.

Your Sincerely,

Filius Flitwick,

Deputy Headmaster"

Finally, I have my Hogwarts letter, I thought, and a slight smile danced on my lips. It's about time.

***

I recalled the moment I had received my Hogwarts letter with a smile as I gazed up at the Hogwarts Express. I had come by the use of Floo Powder just moments ago and ended up at King's Cross Station, where I had crossed the barrier to Platform Nine and Three Quarters. My two older brothers had told me all about how to pass through it. They aren't here with me, though. I wanted to come alone, so I said my goodbyes to my family and left. They wanted to come too, to see me off, but I refused. It's not that I don't want them here - I wish they could be here, actually. I miss them already. But I feel like this is something I should do on my own. I don't expect them to understand.

Everyone around me was saying goodbye to their families and hurriedly boarding the train. I ignored the sudden, sharp pang of homesickness that took hold of my stomach and instead carried my luggage to the train. Once inside, I began searching for an empty compartment. But every one that I passed was filled with people chatting excitedly among themselves. There didn't appear to be any empty compartments.

I approached the back of the train and checked the last few compartments. Yes, there were none spare. I sighed in frustration. There was one that had only a girl in it. That will have to do, I thought sulkily as I neared the compartment. I slid the door open and walked in, giving the girl a brief glance.

"The other compartments are full, so I have to sit here," I told her as I lifted my belongings into the luggage rack. I left Midnight's cage with me though - Midnight was my cat, black with a single round, white patch on her head. I always thought it looked like the moon, so I called her Midnight. I'd had her for a year now and I loved her to death.

"Sure, that's fine," the girl replied, smiling at me.

"I wasn't asking," I answered plainly, opening the door to Midnight's cage and petting her softly. She jumped onto my lap and sat there, enjoying the attention. I knew I was being rude to this girl, but I didn't care. I wasn't interested in making friends; all they do is betray you in the end. Plus they would interrupt my work. I was fine with what I had - my family and Midnight. That's all I needed.

The girl was silent for a moment, probably shocked at my rudeness. "My name is Roseanne, Roseanne Greene," she said pleadingly. I feel sorry for her - she's just trying to be my friend and here I am being rude to her. Besides, there's something about her that's making it hard for me to be rude to this girl. Roseanne. I don't know what it is, but I guess it can't hurt to be nice back, at least for now.

"I'm Kaitlyn Hill," I responded coolly, surveying her appearance for the first time. She was fairly tanned, with brown hair framing her face. She had already changed into her robes so I couldn't tell anything from what she was wearing. And hey, that reminds me. I need to change, I thought, and I reached into the luggage compartment, rummaging through my possessions until I found my simple black robes.

"Excuse me, I'm going to get changed," I told Roseanne, forcing a smile to my face as I glanced at her on my way out of the compartment. I made my way to a bathroom and put on my robes. I looked at myself in the mirror and ran a hand through my long, wavy black hair.

Good enough, I suppose, I thought to myself as I made my way back to the compartment. Well, as good as it's going to get, anyway.