Chapter Nineteen

"You shouldn't be alive," Hela said. 

"There's this thing known as an illusion. 'You ever heard of one?"

"Mayhem doesn't use something as simple as illusions."

"I learned a thing or two from Loki," I said. "Besides, what's Mayhem without a little variety?"

"Why did you bring me here? Being on Niflheim won't stop me from killing you and every one of your friends." She spat out the last words. 

"No," I agreed, "but I can delay you."

Hela shook her head in mock disappointment. "I don't know why you even try."

"We try because you're evil, and evil should never be given an easy path to success," I said simply.

"Yeah, yeah. Who cares?"

"I do, and I think you do, too, because it makes your quest harder." Without warning, I ran up a hill, hidden from Hela by dense trees.

"Once again, running won't extend your life." Hela sounded bored. 

I didn't say anything in response. I ran through the trees, trying and failing to avoid tripping over every root or plant in my path. This section of Niflheim was extremely dark for most of the day, so sight was of no help in my attempt to run from Hela. 

When I reached the crest of the hill, which was apparently a mountain, I didn't even give myself time to catch my breath before I stood next to what looked like Stonehenge made out of shimmering black stone.

"Do they know that you're alive?" Hela asked conversationally while we both took a breather. 

"No," I said, "but I'm sure at least Loki suspects something by now."

"He does seem to be the more intelligent of the two brothers."

"He's adopted."

"Ah." Hela seemed to have recovered, so she summoned another sword and swung it towards me. 

I blocked with a sword of my own, mine made completely of light.

"Are you from Alfheim?" Hela asked curiously. 

"I've stopped trying to figure these things out," I half-sighed. 

It was difficult to get Hela close to the rocks without her suspecting. I couldn't directly shove or move her there, so I had to resort to subtle steps or jabs.

Hela never seemed to wear down. I already had quite a few cuts and bruises, in addition to a perpetually bloody nose that never seemed to stop bleeding no matter what I did. The only visible damage I had inflicted upon Hela was a small cut on her bottom lip. For every one of my victories, Hela had four or five.

My biggest setback was when Hela pushed me towards a steeper part of the mountain. I lost my footing and went rolling down the incline, crashing into what felt like every branch and rock within three miles. I was pretty sure I'd been broken at least a few ribs by the time I rolled to a stop.

"I expected more from the famous Mayhem," Hela said. 

"Don't count me out just yet," I said, then teleported back to the top of the mountain, leaving Hela back where I had been.

"I forgot you can teleport," she said once she figured it out and caught up with me. 

"People tend to do that."

Hela tightened her grip on her sword and rushed at me. I was standing close to the rock, so I let her. I blocked her first blow and the next, but she managed to cut the side of my face with a third. 

"Why do I get the feeling that you enjoy chipping away at me bit by bit?" I asked as I swiped at the blood spilling down my face.

"One part of me does take pleasure in it."

"And the other?"

"Wishes that I could drive eighty-four blades through your heart at once."

"Well, that's cheerful," I said. I began to close the gap between Hela and the rocks little by little. 

When I was mere inches away, Hela began to laugh.

"What's so funny?" I asked. 

"You really think I don't know about the Stone of Oblivion?"

It took me a second, but I quickly realized she was talking about the Stonehenge-like structure. 

"It occurred to me that you might," I said, "but there was always hope that you hadn't heard of it."

"I ruled this realm for centuries; there is no chance that I don't know."

"Well, what other choice did we have?" I readied my sword again, knowing what she was about to do.

"By bringing yourself here," Hela chuckled, "you have made it easier for me to kill you."

"If you're going to kill me, then get on with it. Apparently, I don't have all day."

Hela swung her sword at me with more force than I was expecting, sending me stumbling closer to the stone.

When she had nearly pinned me against the rock, she laughed and spoke again. "Does the famous Mayhem have any last words?"

"I doubt they'll be my last words, but you might want to keep track of everyone in the equation next time."

"What?"

"Behind you."

Loki, who was now behind Hela, grabbed my arm and pulled me to safety. Hela was sent sprawling for a handhold, which she, unfortunately, found on the Stone of Oblivion."

"Any last words, Hela?" I asked her smugly.

She scowled. "Don't count me out yet."

"I think 'out' is an understatement," Loki said as she floated away in millions of tiny specks of light.

"That was literally the most stressful thing I have ever done," I said. 

"You shouldn't have done that," he said, pulling me into his arms.

"I just saved Asgard, Niflheim, and who knows how many other realms."

"At the risk of your own life."

"Well, what's done is done," I said. "Ready to go home?"

"You are my home," Loki said.