Summer Of The Shark P.2

When I finally got to Beth's she was laying down on the couch while to girls searching through the laptop. My body aches from the walk but I mostly felt emotionally exhausted. Ruby and Annie were looking up at me before continuing on the screen.

"I don't see anything about a dead gang kid" They were trying to see for a body. Maybe to see how they "handled that kid. It was weird only a few weeks I saved that kid and now in Rios world, he's "handled".

"You're sure he's coming for us," Ruby asked Beth.

"We know too much now" Beth seemed more out of it than I was. "He'd be an idiot not to" I don't think so. She sat up taking a drink of her whiskey.

"I mean, homie has made this threat before," Annie told her.

"I'm telling you, it's different." She sat up looking at them. "We're no good to him now."How could he get rid of us that easily?

"He said the actual words?" No, he didn't. It was like I wasn't even in the room I talked to him too but I was nothing.
"He just looked at me funny." He was hurt even felt betrayed I would.

I zoned out thinking about tonight, my head was killing me. "Cant you do something" They looked at Beth. She shook her head looking at me. I didn't even want to speak they would notice I cried from my voice.

"Im tired im gonna go shower" I threw my jacket at the table before climbing upstairs. I heard them whispering about me but I didn't really care I wanted this night to be over. After I showered I grabbed the burner looking at it the whole night praying I get something. When I woke up the next day and saw nothing I cursed at myself.

Somebody knocked on my door scaring me, I hid the phone in time for Beth to enter. "Were all outside if you want to come" She nodded before leaving. Did I really want to go out there? They were still my best friends. I got up getting dressed and going outside with a cup of coffee in hand. It was mostly silent as we watched the kids play outside. I mainly just stared at my drink not really in the mood to drink.

"Maybe we should turn ourselves in" Annie was the first one to speak. I turned to her she looked like she hasn't slept, none of us really did but you know.

"You want to go to the cops?"Ruby told her. It was weird, Annie being the one to mention cops.
"I know, I know" Annie was just looking at the ground

"Now you want to go to the cops?"She added.
"We'll go to jail, Annie," Beth told her.

"Well, it's better than waiting to be murdered in some gnarly way that I haven't even thought of yet" No he won't.

"We got the call," Ruby said to no one in particular. "What if it goes to someone else?"

"All those fairy tales they told us when we were little girls? The morals were always if you're good and if you follow the rules, if you don't lie and you don't cheat, if you're good, you'll get good things" Those fairytales were bullshit. "And if you're a dick, you get punished but what if the people who made up those stories are the dicks"

"Are you following her?" Ruby looked at both of us. I shook my head while Annie said: "Mm, mas o menos".

"What if the bad people made all that up so the good people never get anything good?" What was going on in her head?

"And now I'm lost." Same here sister.

"What's the takeaway?" Ruby asked.

"It doesn't matter what we've done, we're the good guys" uh oh. "He's the criminal here" I mean he is. "He's the one who should be in jail."

"Not us" It was leader Beth now but what she was implying was scaring me.

"That's what I'm talking about"