Another Day, A Little More Open

I woke slowly, feeling strangely happy as I looked at the stuffed toy in my grasp. I made it through most of my routine without a negative thought, until I had to tie on my eyepatch and remembered why I go to this school.

Still, I couldn't help but keep a somewhat peaceful, thought tired, expression on my face as I left my dorm. When I reached the school, I entered the classroom, sat in my usual seat in the back, and stared out the window, my head in my palm and a small, subconscious smile gracing my features.

Then I heard it, the whispers. Looking around, I saw many other students staring at me, whispering to one another in hushed voices. A bitter scowl immediately plastered itself on my face and I glared at them all, causing them to clam up and look firward, save for a select few: Bon, Rin, Yukio, Sheimi, Renzou, Konekomaru, and Izumi. I sent them all sharper glares than I sent the other students, but most of them just grinned and turned around.

I growled a bit to myself as I looked back out the window.

*tap*

A small paper ball hit my desk, gaining my attention. Curious as to what the paper said, I un wadded it and smoothed out the wrinkles. It read:

Do you like the rabbit?

-Suguro (Bon)

I looked up in surprise to see Bon looking at me from the corner of his eyes, which held a curious glint. Kind of shocked, I pointed at him, mouth gapping. He nodded with a small smirk. For whatever reason, I felt my ears and neck heat up. I gave him a small, underused smile and mouthed 'thank you'.

The tips of his ears turned a bit red and he mouthed back 'no problem'. Then he waited a moment, scribbled something down on a piece of paper, and discretely held it up for me to read.

Will you make friends now?

My eyes widened and my mouth opened more before shutting abruptly as I clenched my fists, thinking. I fought with myself over that question for what seemed like hours, yet was only thirty seconds in reality, before another ball hit my desk. I carefully opened it up, smoothed it out as I had the first, and read.

Everything will be okay.

I looked at Bon once again to see him wearing an assuring, slightly nervous, smile. I released a silent, shuddering breath and made my decision. Slowly, painfully slowly, I nodded once. He grinned.

The bell rang, and Shiemi immediately approached my desk, a determined look in her eyes.

"Hey, Akira! Will you be my friend now?" She asked brightly. The entire class kept moving, already suspecting my answer. I took a deep breath and looked at her.

"Fine."

Everyone stopped, spun around, and stared at us. Shiemi looked overjoyed and shocked.

"I can't say I'll be a very pleasant person to be around." I added seriously. "But I'll try."

"Well if you're her friend, then you're our friend too." Grinned Rin as he and the rest of the exorcists came over. I looked at them all, a bit surprised.

"Being my friend puts you in serious danger." I warned.

"We'll survive." Bon smirked.

I sighed softly before giving them my underused smile, though it was almost nonexistent.

"Alright, fine."