Chapter 5

( 5 )

THE CATHAY PACIFIC plane began its slow and steady descent to Chek Lap Kok airport almost an hour before it was scheduled to land. This would be Ava's fourth trip to Hong Kong. The other three had been with her mother and sister to visit Jennie's family and friends there. They hadn't seen Marcus - or at least the girls hadn't. Jennie had left them alone in their hotel room on two nights, saying that she had mah-jong games. Marian believed her. Ava didn't.

"Will you see your father?" Jennie had asked when Ava told her that she was going to Hong Kong to try to help Hedrick Lo.

"I don't have any plans to. I'm there on business."

"Still, you won't mind if I tell him that you're there?"

"No."

"What hotel did you book?"

"The Oriental Crocus."

"I've never heard of it. Is it part of the Mandarin Oriental chain?"

"Hardly. It's a three-star hotel in Mong Kok."

"Why did you choose that?"

"I didn't. Mr. Lo did. He's paying."

"He's cheap."

"He told me he's stayed there himself and it isn't so bad. The office of the importer he was working with is nearby, so it's convenient."

"He probably wants to save money on taxis. Or did he actually tell you to take the MTR?"

"Mummy, you're the one who asked me to help him."

"I know." Jennie sighed. "It's just that the idea of you going to Hong Kong alone is kind of odd. You've never been there without me. I want to feel that you're safe, and a three-star hotel in Mong Kok doesn't sound secure."

"You know I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself."

"I still worry."

"Don't, and don't harass me when I'm there either, or ask Daddy to check up on me. I'm going there to work. I don't need to be babysat and I don't need any distractions."

Jennie became quiet, and Ava knew her mother was probably offended by her directness and her tone. This was how many of the conversations between them ended - Ava declaring her independence; her mother acting hurt; Ava saying, "I'm sorry, I know you love me"; and Jennie replying, "I know, and I also know you will do exactly whatever you want to do regardless of what I say." This time Ava added, "I do promise that if I run into any serious problems, I'll call Daddy."

Ava had taken a limousine to Pearson International Airport to catch the Cathay flight. It departed at ten thirty in the evening and, after crossing the international dateline, would land her in Hong Kong at six in the morning two days later. She spent most of the day of her departure fussing about what to take with her. Her travel experience was limited to holidays, when she packed casual clothes, and major upheavals such as moving from Toronto to Wellesley, when she took just about everything she owned. This was her first extended business trip and she was unsure about what to pack. She finally decided to restrict herself to business wear and her running gear. Four Brooks Brothers shirts, two pairs of black slacks, a pencil skirt, two pairs of pumps, slippers, underwear for a week, and her cosmetics bag filled a suitcase. She stuffed her running shorts, socks, and T-shirts into a carry-on and wore her running shoes, track pants, and jacket to the airport.

Because it was a last-minute booking, Ava was assigned a window seat in the rear of the economy section. She shared the row with an elderly Chinese couple, who told her they were going back to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year in March. Ava asked why they were going four weeks before the actual event.