Fourteen

It was Monday.

Richard got to work at 8:10, slightly later than usual. He'd accidentally overslept after his extremely eventful Sunday evening with Clare.

After the blouse incident, Richard had dropped a rather tipsy Clare home. At first she had refused, but eventually he managed to get her inside and put her to bed. He didn't expect her to be in early today.

Richard kept his head down as he walked through the station. It began to get busy after 8 o'clock, so he had to use his very best avoiding techniques to make it to his office safely.

Everything was going surprisingly well until someone suddenly stepped in front of him.

"Where were you yesterday, Dick?"

Richard looked up. It was Douglas, obviously.

"W- w- what?"

"W- w- where were you?" Douglas repeated, mocking Richard's stutter.

"I- I- I decided to have the day off. I don't get paid for Sundays, after all-"

"Were you with Brent?"

"Erm... A little bit." Richard nodded.

"Doing?"

"We just... Is it any of your business?"

"Don't get funny with me, Dick." Douglas spat. "You've been spending an awful lot of time with her lately, haven't you? I think you're up to something."

Richard frowned slightly. "I- I don't know what you mean."

"You're having days off, turning up late - you used to be a hard worker, Dick. But that's changed since Clare came along, hasn't it?"

"I'm not actually late."

"You are. You're usually here before me." Douglas replied, stepping closer to Richard. "You know, I put you two together because I didn't think you would get distracted by a pretty face... But I was wrong."

Richard knew that wasn't true. Douglas put them together because he knew how difficult Richard found it to work with people - especially women. He did it out of spite.

Richard shook his head. "I'm not getting distracted."

A smirk appeared on Douglas' face. "I think I'm going to have to separate you."

Separate you.

Richard's heart sank.

He couldn't lose Clare - she meant far too much to him.

"W... What?"

"You heard me. I think I might move Clare to another team... She'd do better somewhere else."

Richard shook his head, beginning to feel confused. "But we're just friends!"

"This isn't a place for friends."

Richard looked down, fiddling nervously with his tie. "Please, Doug. Give me another chance. I'll work harder, I promise."

"Look, Dick. If it wasn't for my boss, you'd be long gone by now."

"Please, Doug-"

"Nobody likes you. And we certainly don't need you." Douglas chuckled, before announcing loudly for everyone to hear, "You're just a useless little autistic twat."

The words hit Richard hard. His stomach turned, and his head began to spin - he didn't know what to do. He could feel the stares from people walking by.

"I don't really know why you're here, Dick. But believe me - the moment I get some proper dirt on you, you'll be gone."

Richard nodded. "Sorry."