Good-bye, Ork

The little girl looked at the eggs.

"Is that everything, Orson, sir?"

"All except for one thing."

The man produced a ring from a drawer in a table to the left.

"Keep this with you. As your mind is not yet developed for communication, this is how you will contact me or anyone else on Ork in time of need."

"I'm afraid I don't understand, sir."

"Your mind is not yet developed enough to call others, or for others to call you. This ring allows calls when usually you would be unable."

"I see. Thank you, sir."

"You will be leaving shortly. Mork is preparing for your arrival. If there is anything you need to do before you leave, you should do it."

"Yes, sir."

The child looked around the room and walked out behind the man. She left the building quietly. She wasn't fond of Ork, but it was her home. There was no hint of when she'd be back, if ever, and she'd never even met the man she was going to stay with.

"Mel-Ah'D-ae!"

She whirled. "Ohme'nd-ar! You surprised me."

"Did you think you were leaving without saying good-bye?"

"No, Ohme'nd-ar, I did not. I simply did not know how to say it."

"Say it. 'Good-bye' is enough."

Both girls looked at the rising moons.

"I'm not sure I want to go."

"But you must! If you do not, we will be sent back there. I, for one, do not want to go back! You must go!"

"I do not want to go back either. It is just - I am leaving everything I have ever known. It is difficult. I have never met this Mork. Now I am suddenly being sent to live with him, for how long we don't know. I know I must go. In a way, I do want to go. I am just scared."

"You will be fine, I am sure. If Orson - Father, I mean - trusts him enough to send him to observe such a diverse planet, surely he can trust him to care for you in that environment."

"Mel-Ah'D-ae, it is time."

The two girls nodded at each other.

"Good-bye, Ohme'nd-ar."

"Good-bye, Mel-Ah'D-ae."

As Mel-Ah'D-ae walked back into the building, she paused on the threshold and took one last look at her home planet.

"Good-bye, Ork," she whispered.