001; GIVE ME A SIGN

Nola's cold stethoscope gently pressed against her mother's warm chest as the repetition sounds of her heartbeat echoed within her ears. Nola repositioned the disc-shaped resonator near each of her mother's lungs before finally pulling the ear tips away. She quickly jotted her mother's daily results upon a records sheet before placing it an enclosed clipboard. The expression of joy continuously gleamed within her mother's brown eyes, not letting the fact that she's in her second stage of brain cancer bother her.

"So how's everything coming along, doc?" she asks with emphasis.

"Everything seems to be normal for the most part. Your vitals are good, which was my most concern," Nola shortly explained while removing her white coat.

She slipped her hair from its high, loose ponytail with her pin curls flowing effortlessly over her shoulders. As a second-year medical student, Nola maintained quite the responsibilties when it came to school and taking on full guardianship of her five-year old brother, all the while playing doctor on her mother. She maneuvered quickly around her hospital-like bedroom to prepare her mother for the start of her morning and the rest of the day ahead.

"Well, I can't say I'm surprised, sweet pea." she smiled deeply. Nola's mother toggled through the basic channel selections until the news channel appeared, her favorite morning show.

Nola sighed, "Sure you can't, mom." A yawn released from her mouth, but she failed miserably to hide it.

"You know, for as long I've been in this house I'm quite surprised these thin walls haven't crumbled to the floor yet." said Nola's mother as she examined her bedroom of twenty years in reminisce. She continued, "I know you've been staying up pretty late. How's your sleep been?"

Nola shrugged at her mother's question, "You know I do all of the test runs and researching at night." Her mother had the tendency of quite a few of the same questions on numerous occasions, but she couldn't help her progressive forgetfulness. "I shouldn't be the reason of why you're not getting any sleep. You know how much I hate to feel like a burden to you with all of the other important things you have going on.

Hearing the precise words come from her mother's mouth only made Nola realize how much more she preferred her mother in her presence and at home, rather than at a hospital. "I choose not to get any sleep because of me, not you," said Nola, kissing her mother's forehead. She continued, "I've scheduled you a CT scan for tomorrow morning, so try to stay off of your feet as much as possible," she advised.

Nola's face expressed it's usual blank of emotions. She takes a glance at her watch to check the time, "The new nurse should be up within the next few minutes. Remember to be nice mama, okay? This will be the third nurse I've had assigned to you in just this month alone and I can't afford you giving them a hard time."

"Mhm. I don't know how the hell she'll get through the front door if I don't open it."

"Edna Melese Addisu," Nola relayed in a stern tone of subtle seriousness. Her mother frowned, "Fine," she mouthed the inaudible words.

She continued gathering personal records and returning all medical equipment back into their proper spaces in attempt to make room.

"Where are you headed off to now?"

"Work. These bills and mortgage aren't going to pay themselves," said Nola, tossing her apron across her shoulder.

"Every important phone number you need is right here on the white board, of course. I'll be home no later than seven," she explained in repetition, sure enough not to forget one single detail.

Nola farewelled her mother with a gentle hug and within seconds, she was left alone in silence, unmuting the television. With Nola's bedroom located just down the hall, she packed the rest of her items for the afternoon's shift when she noticed her favorite stuffed animal that was gifted to her on her ninth birthday upon her nightstand.

Mr. Todd, the antique toad, collected quite the amount of dust over the past few months, but without a doubt it reminded Nola of her fond memories of childhood. Where without worry didn't cause her nightmares. Where with happiness kept a smile on her face—something Nola haven't seen on herself in a long time. As she continued to reminisce, tears gradually welled within here eyelids

She quickly shoved the stuff animal with force into an empty drawer, grabbing her visor hat and work shoes. Within a matter of seconds, she went from prominent medical school student to barista-expert working at minimum wage. Nola stood at her bedroom door with her hand on the knob, mentally praying to herself.

God, give me a sign. She thought.