My Worst Nightmare

Rachels Point of View

I close the door to Jessicas room and began walking down the hall back to my office three door down. I opened the door and closed it behind me and then sat at my desk.

I put my notes and her into my files. I sat down and put my head in my hands. I never wanted any of this. I hate doing that to her. She probably sees me as this unfeeling monster.

There's nothing that I can do about this though. They gave her to me when she was two years old. I found out that I couldn't have kids when I was in my teens.

 Dr.Leekie told me that Jessica was basically my biological daughter because she was formed by the eggs of a clone. The second I held her I knew that she was mine and that I would protect her from anything. 

She was the sweetest little girl. I loved being with her and taking care of her. I miss the relationship that we used to have. We aren't like that anymore because of Dr.Leekie.

 He saw how attached I was with my daughter. I couldn't take her going through those procedures anymore and tried to override Leekie. He found out and went nuts. 

He told me if I don't cut off my attachment to her that he will send her somewhere that will do much worse. 

I couldn't do that to her so I became cold and impersonal with her like I am with everyone else. The resentment I see in her eyes whenever I see her is excruciating.

I've been slowly working my way up in ranks so that I will have enough authority to completely stop the testing on her but I'm not there yet.

 I received a report that they were going to start testing on her for pregnancy. I'm appalled that Aldous would approve this but there's nothing that I can do, I don't have the authority. 

It could be a good thing though. I'll have a grandchild that will hopefully down the line bring me and my daughter together again.

She will probably hate me for this but I hope she'll forgive me someday.  I heard yelling down the hallway a few hours later and went over to see what was going on. 

Jessica's door was open and people were running out of it. I grabbed the arm of one of the men. "What is going on?" I demanded. "The subjects escaped!" he said. No. No way could she be gone. "Jessica Duncan?" I asked. He nodded.

I pushed past him and rushed into her room. It was empty. I grabbed my chest and collapsed against the wall. Where is she! Oh, what have I done? I should have been watching her. She could be anywhere.

Aldous came rushing over with Caleb O'Connor, Jessica's monitor. "Rachel are you alright?" he said helping me up. I pushed him away.

"Where is my daughter Aldous?" I growled. "The security footage from a few hours ago was corrupted. She must have escaped then" he replied.

I looked over at Caleb who had a concerned look on his face. "You!" I snarled running at him. I dug my nails into his face and clawed at him. The security ran over and pulled me off of him. "You were supposed to be watching her!" I screamed.

"He was out for an hour on lunch Rachel, nobody can blame him for this" Aldous said calmly. I stopped fighting the man holding me. Aldous came over and put a hand on my arm "We'll find her" he reassured me. I slapped his hand away. 

"You better or I'm done here" I growled back fighting the sobs that were about to break loose. I stomped back to my office and slammed the door and locked it. Good thing my room is soundproof so no one would hear the big bad Rachel Duncan screaming in agony.