Chapter Seven

*Sadie's POV*

It wasn't long before we reached the castle, ten minutes at the most. Despite Guy's disliking of the Sheriff, he didn't want to be late. It could cost him his job... and his life.

We rode into the courtyard, only to see that we were not only in meeting the my Uncle. Stood at the base of the steps was a carriage, draped in red and gold cloth and printed with a royal crest; Prince John's crest. I swallowed hard and looked at Guy. He scowled as he looked at the carriage. We dismounted, handed our horses to a stable hand and entered the castle.

I had grown up in this castle and Guy had worked in it for most of his life, so we knew the way to the main hall like the back of our hands. As we turned the last corner, we heard voices drifting through the stone hallways. I cast a glance in Guy's direction and realised that he was looking back at me. Evidently caught of guard, he coughed slightly and quickened his pace. Soon, we reached the doors to the hall. Guy placed both hands on the wood and pushed. It opened silently (which is surprising, considering how old this castle was).

Guy made a bee-line to the steps that led to the ground floor. I followed, trying to pay attention to the men below us but I was somewhat distracted by the sweat that was sticking Guy's black shirt to his broad back.

"And, once and for all, deal with Hood. He's become a significant pain in the Princely backside." said a man at the table, slowly rising from his seat and looming over Vaisey.

We had reached their level now and Guy was almost by my Uncle's side. He spoke to the men, who were shocked by his sudden arrival, "You don't need to worry about him anymore."

I squeezed my eyes shut and hoped that this conversation wouldn't deteriorate too quickly...

"Ah, Gisborne." mused the man, returning to his seat.

The Sheriff looked absolutely gobsmacked, "What do you mean?" he questioned, turning to look at Guy.

"He's dead. I killed him." declared Guy, standing a little taller as he spoke. From my position, I could see a smug smirk playing on his lips. I wanted to elbow him and talk some sense into him, but I felt like this was not the time. "Robin Hood is dead, by these hands! Look." Guy leant over the table and skimmed something over to Vaisey; Robin's tag.

Vaisey snatched it up, examining it with glory shining in his eyes. He seemed to splutter over his words, before finally spitting out the words, "Oh, Gisborne!" he quickly rose to his chair and approached Guy, "This is a great day. The outlaw is no more! Let the bells sound! Rejoice, rejoice!" he now had his arm wrapped around Guy's shoulders, who was leaning on the table, his head bowed, and was jumping with joy. He waved the tag around in the air like a trophy.

"Ah, sorry to nit-pick. But haven't we been here before. Shouldn't we hold the celebrations until we have proof?" stated the man at the other end of the table. He stood again.

"Proof. Proof?" scoofed the Sheriff, shoving the the tag under the man's nose.

"Like, where's the body?"

Silence.

Guy and Vaisey stared at each other, disbelief and horror written on their faces. It was quite comical when they both looked to me at the same time. How was I meant to know where Robin Hood's body is? I just shrugged and left the room.

***

*Guy's POV*

"No one leaves until we've found the body!" I screamed instructions to my men. I turned to face the bank of the rapids, which had calmed into a river that moved a bit slower. "Where are you?" I growled. I searched high and low, before turning to the woman that stood a couple of metres away. She had her arms folded across her chest as she leant against a tree. "Some help would be good." I snapped, glaring at her. I didn't mean for my tone to be so harsh, but Prince John's men always seemed to stress me out. Sadie, however, seemed completely oblivious to the way I had spoken to her.