Chapter 4:

Recap:

“Dude I like your sister.  Is she hot?”  This time I did slap him.  “Ouch! What was that for?” Eli grumbled rubbing the back of his head. 
“Shut up.  You know very well what that was for you asshole.  And paws off okay?  She’s off limits.” I felt an unprecedented protectiveness scorch my veins. 

“Sure, whatever you say.” Eli gave me a wolfish grin. 

“Eat your breakfast jackass.”

“Bitch.” 

CHAPTER 4

When my parents came down, they were fully dressed and in a great rush.  Callie followed after them now dressed in black jeans and baggy dress shirt that looked like it belonged to a boyfriend.  Her hair was held back in a gray knit cap that matched the round scarf around her neck.

“Wow, did you really do all this by yourself Callum? You didn’t have to do this.” My father asked, his surprised tone matching my mother’s expression.  Even Callie looked like she had just noted the abundance of food on the island.  She must have been too tiered to notice earlier. 

“I know.  I didn’t.  Eli helped me with most of it.  We are kind of used to cooking for ourselves.  We just made enough to share.  I hope you don’t mind us going through the cupboards.”

“Don’t be silly.  This your home honey.” My mother said with a confused smile.  So she expected me to act like this was my home, as if I had never left.  I couldn’t believe her.  I didn’t think I would ever call this place home.  I was simply a resident for the time being. 

“Yes don’t worry about that, but did Eli seriously help you make all of this?” My dad looked uneasily towards the food.  It was obvious that he now remembered what I had told him about Eli.  He thought that Eli might have messed with the food because of the way he was.  I was suddenly terribly angry.  I didn’t care what they said to me, but Eli was off limits.  Just as I was about to voice my outrage, Eli stood up to speak for himself. 

“I mean no disrespect Mr. Knight, but I’m going to be very blunt.  I may be….” He couldn’t force the word from his lips. “But I’m not deaf.  I would appreciate if you didn’t speak of me as if I am not standing here.  I understand your apprehensiveness, but I assure you, both Callum and I are very self-efficient.  Your breakfast is safe Sir.” Only Eli could pull off being an asshole while being diplomatic. 

“Alright, well then, Eli and I are going to set off to school a little early to get settled in.” I said breaking the odd tension in the room. 

“I’d come with you, but I’m starving so Imma stuff myself before I come to school.” Callie grinned eyeing the pancakes with a malicious glint.  “You guys do know that you’ll be almost an hour early right?”  She snagged a pancake as she spoke drenching it in syrup Eli style.  I liked how she was comfortable around us already.  My sister was awesome. 

“We’re going to walk, so that will kill some time, but we’ll see you at school?”  I asked.  She simply nodded with her stuffed mouth. 

“God, these are amazing.” She moaned.  “You guys are definitely cooking more in the future.” She looked to my parents.  “I’ve decided I like having a brother.” She stated matter of factly before returning her attention to her breakfast.  I shook my head at her antics and followed Eli out the door.  I made sure that I grabbed the backpack I had placed by the front door before stepping out.  I had packed it earlier with all the essentials, two notebooks, a few pencils, a couple of pens and two folders.  Eli and I decided we would share a bag, at least for the first day considering how we both had the same schedule.