Episode 5: Attack

The cries grew louder and wilder by each passing second. It seemed like hundreds of men had screamed their lungs out at the same. The shrieks grew even more frightening when accompanied with the clatter of swords and battle-axes.

Annabelle and Kyla went blanched.

"Milady, I fear something unfortunate has befallen us. These cries........ they sound like a........like a...... war cry." Kyla stuttered.

Annabelle nodded."I feel the same."

Although frightened, she decided to not to give up to her fears too soon. May be they were their men only. She tried to reason. Aaron had told the men were drunk. They might have gone into some brawl. But, these scary cries weren't that of a trivial brawl. It was evident that they were war cries.

"Sit here", she pushed Kyla onto the bed. Kyla was shaking profusely. Annabella feared that she would soon fall. She suddenly swung back and moved towards the door.

"But, milady, where are you going?" Kyla pulled her arm and resisted her from leaving the room.

"I am going too see Glenna. For God's sake, she must be alone in her chamber. I must go and see her." Annabelle said irritatingly.

"But, milady............. you shouldn't go outside. You never know what kind of danger lies out there. What if the attackers have breached this keep and have entered upstairs." Kyla pleaded. "Please don't leave me alone."

"Stop it Kyla. What was supposed to happen, has happened. It cannot be undone. We must deal with it. Sitting here behind locked doors wouldn't save us or..........Cainhorn." The last word made her emotional.

"I am going to see Glenna. Keep the doors closed if you are scared. Open only when you hear me."

She opened the door and ran outside.

************************************************************************************************************

She hurried down the passage. Usually, during this time of the night, the passage would be filled by the servants who slept on the floor during nights. But, due to the celebration, this tower was devoid of their presence. There was hardly anybody to be seen. She hurried down towards the spiral staircase at the end of the passage and ran upstairs quickly. Thrice she knocked hard onto her brother's chamber, but no response came. She wondered if it was appropriate to startle Glenna with her sudden arrival. Shocks might not be good for her health. She should approach her as calm as possible, she thought.

"Glenna! Can you open the door?" She kept her voice steady, "It's me, Bella."

She waited for a whole minute. Glenna might have slept. But how could she sleep in such noise? The voices were becoming even more gruesome now. She sighed and a creaking sound came when the doors opened infront off her. Glenna was standing there.

Annabelle quickly moved inside and swung the door behind her.

"Bella, I think. ...."  Glenna spoke and Annabelle cut in between.

"Cainhorn is under an attack."

"What? But..."

"There is no time to think who did it or why did it. We have to hurry down."

"Come with me." Without any further word, she took her downstairs to her chamber.

************************************************************************************************************

"Who can be they? How did they even manage to pass the well- guarded gatehouse?" Glenna was confused.

"Milady, I am worried about mama. She was still there in the kitchen when we left. I hope she's safe." Kyla looked petrified.

"Bella, say something." Glenna insisted.

"What do I say? I am pleading you both to let me go out and and look into the situation for the past hour. And you aren't even letting me get near the door. What can I do behind these four walls?" She looked helpless.

"Are you mad? Let you go. There would probably be vile highlanders who would either kill or rape you. I cannot let you put yourself in such peril knowingly." Glenna chided her.

They all were startled by a sudden bang on the door. At first, they were terrified but were relieved when they heard a familiar voice.

"Milady......milady......milady....."

"It's mama," said Kyla. She quickly ran towards the door and let her in.

"Brenda! Are you alright? Tell me what has happened?" Annabelle quickly inquired her.

"Milady, Cainhorn has been attacked. It's the .......It's the Campbells. Those wicked beings have breached the castle gates and are now moving towards the inner bailey."

"But where is Aaron? Is he fine?" Glenna was tensed.

"Yes! Is my brother fine?" asked Annabelle impatiently.

"Laird has been fighting ferociously for the past hour. But, he is loosing the battle."

"How can it be possible? Annabelle looked incredulous.

"Yes, milady. It has happened. That is why he has sent me to you. Laird Aaron asks both of you ladies to leave this castle at once."

"What? Mama you must be mistaken," said Kyla.

"No, my child. I have seen them. Their force is double our force. It would be no late that they get to this tower. Milady, we must hurry."

"Bella, I think she's right. There must be a peril to our lives. Otherwise, Aaron wouldn't have asked for such extreme step." Glenna suggested.

"Milady, but I didn't understand how could you leave Cainhorn. We are surrounded by the enemy from all the sides. I asked Laird Aaron and he says that you know the way." Brenda seemed to have no clue.

Annabelle looked at Glenna first and then at Kyla. All three of them now knew the way out of Cainhorn.

The secret tunnel.

"I know how to escape."

"To your extreme right, picture of kyla."

Please do comment and vote if you liked this episode :)