Chapter 1

"Don't even START with me, Damon!" I shouted as I rounded the corner into the kitchen. I threw open the fridge and grabbed a can of soda.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot Aera was too good for everybody else." His voice was dripping in sarcasm and anger as he followed me around the house, stomping his feet angrily.

"That has NOTHING to do with this, and you know it! I just don't want to have this conversation right now." I popped the can open and moved to the stairs, starting to walk up them, Damon close behind.

"Of course not. You never want to. You always avoid things you don't like. Maybe that's why I haven't seen a lot of you lately." The moment he finished speaking, I stopped in the middle of the stairs and whipped around to face him.

"How dare you. How dare you, Damon! That's not the reason I haven't been around." I paused my yelling for a moment. "Have you ever thought that the reason I stopped spending time with you was because you stopped paying attention to me? Because everything I would say went in one ear and out the other?" I stared at him, giving him a challenging look.

He glared at me, angrier than I had seen him in a while. Damon clenched his jaw and balled his fist. He was holding back what he really wanted to say, and a little part of me was grateful for that.

I sighed, not wanting to go to bed in separate rooms for the third night in a row. "What do you want me to say?"

Damon's face softened, but the anger was still hidden in his clear blue eyes. "Just... Just go and see them. They are your grandparents, and the only ones you have. They miss you."

Two years. Damon and I had been married for two years. And in that time, my grandparents and my mother had a falling out. My grandmother was always crazy, and my mom had enough of it. Unfortunately, this left me to be the only other person that they talked to. And I wasn't one to reach out to them. This irritated Damon.

"I've been around a lot longer than you, and I've seen people, people I love die, and you don't always get a chance to patch things up. And I don't want to see you go through the same pain that I've gone through." He took a step towards me, and I inched away from him. He shook his head and let out a breath.

"Fine. I'll call them. Tomorrow." My voice was cold and bitchy.

"It doesn't have to be a long conversation, just check up on them."

I turned around, continuing up the staircase to our bedroom. I stopped in front of our door, and looked slightly to my left. "I'd like it if you came back to our room." And I opened the door, and kept it open as I stepped through it.

I went to change into my nightgown, and by the time I had stripped down to my underwear, Damon had entered the room. I slipped the gown on over my head, letting it fall around me, and walked back out into the bedroom.

Damon was sitting on the edge of his bed, with is head in his hands. His sad appearance drew me to him. I sat down next to him and put my hand on his back.

"I'm sorry, Damon." I leant my head down onto his shoulder. "I've been in the wrong. I should have listened to your reasoning."

He sat up, and turned to look at me. "I forgive you. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have yelled." He put his hand on my leg.

"We both shouldn't have." I stood up and moved around to my side of the bed and crawled into it.

I watched as Damon did the same thing, the air around us was still tense. I turned on my side to face him, and he did the same, our faces nearly touching.

I couldn't stand being angry with each other. It hurt me more than I thought it would. And lately, fighting had been a constant strain on our relationship.

Neither one of us seemed happy anymore, and I didn't know what to do about it.

This thought alone made me start to cry, the tears slowly falling down my cheeks. Damon's face was blank. I couldn't read what was going on in his mind. I didn't want his sympathy, I just wanted to know what he thought sometimes. He did a very good job of keeping everything inside.

"Maybe..." I dried my eyes and sniffled. "Maybe we should... get a divorce." I hadn't wanted to say it. But I had thought about it a lot lately. Damon and I rarely spoke, and when we did, we fought. I had forced us to go to marriage counseling for a couple of months, but nothing changed. We were both too stubborn to feel that we were the problem.

He gave me a weak half smile in reply.

"Okay." I whispered, my voice barely audible, and I turned over and closed my eyes, feeling the tears seep out of them.