Chapter 1: Can't Sleep

Hotshot was walking alone through the halls of the Academy. It was late and he knew he should be recharging, but his processor was just constantly racing... and he knew why.

He walked past the entrance to Hero Hall, quickly walking back when he noticed someone- or somebot- was in there, just sitting and staring into nothingness.

Hotshot quickly walked in, spark racing when he recognized the lone bot, "Medix?"

Medix, startled, quickly shot up and faced him, relieved that it was just his friend, "Hotshot! Oh Primus you startled me! What are you doing up??"

Hotshot smirked, "I was about to ask you the same thing", he approached his friend. Medix mirrored his smirk, "well, I asked first."

Hotshot sighed, "fair enough", he sat down with Medix, "I couldn't recharge"

Medix breathed, "same here. My processor just kept running."

Hotshot's optics widened, "same!"

Medix chuckled softly and gave Hotshot a soft smile. Hotshot was thankful that it was dark, otherwise Medix would've been overly concerned about his faceplates suddenly burning up and the blue tint along his cheekplates.

Hotshot's spark was in overdrive. Gosh Medix is so hot-

"Hotshot?", Hotshot snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Medix who had a questioning look.

"Sorry... can you say that again?", Hotshot said sheepishly.

"Of course", Medix replied, voice going soft, "what's on your mind, Hotshot? Would you like to talk about it?"

Hotshot now desperately hoped an emergency would pop up. Surprisingly, nothing came up.

Hotshot breathed, "I just... can't stop thinking."

"About what?", Medix pressed on.

About you. "About birds", Hotshot said.

Hotshot internally facepalmed.

Medix raised an optic ridge, "birds? You mean like as in how they are able to fly?", Hotshot nodded unsurely. Medix straightened up "well, you see, birds can fly because-"

Hotshot really wasn't listening to Medix's very informative speech.

Hoshot just couldn't stop staring at the red and white medic before him.

"-and that's how birds can singlehandedly defy the natural laws of physics and- Hotshot? Are you okay?"

Hotshot snapped out of his thoughts again, stuttering as he responds, "No! I mean yes! I mean-"

"Wow, my speech must have answered so much for you", Medix responded jokingly.

"Uh... oh! Yeah! Totally. Thanks Medix", Hotshot cleared his throat, "so uh... what's been on your processor?"

Medix visibly blushed and avoided optic contact, "promise you won't laugh?", a nod, "I... have feelings for someone..."

Hotshot's spark almost beated out of his chassis, "me too!"

Actual facepalm.

Medix gave him a surprised look, "who?"

Hotshot didn't think twice, his spark beating at its absolute maximum, "it's y-"

Suddenly the lights flicked on.

"What are you two doing up?! You both should be in recharge!!", Heatwave yelled.

Hotshot and Medix sprang to their pedes and booked it out of there, "got it sir! Sorry sir!!"