NOWPLAYING #1

A/N: I started writing this story when I was around 12, then stopped...then re-wrote the whole thing again as an improved version this year. I really love music (but don't learn it, unfortunately), so I thought I would write story about it. Please do comment to tell me what you think of it!

* * * * *

NOWPLAYING #1: It Ends Tonight

"It ends tonight, it ends tonight." - The All-American Rejects

_________________________________________________

Alpha. Beginning.

What marks the beginning of something? Which really came first - the chicken or the egg?

In this particular story, everything was set into motion by an envelope. A certain apocalyptic envelope that foreshadowed the future of our main heroine.

Somewhere in America, Earth

"Jomie dear, will you help me check this morning's mail? I think the postman already went," Mrs. Torres requested her daughter that fateful Monday morning as she immersed herself into the newspaper and sipped her coffee.

Jomie padded down the front porchsteps and rummaged through their mailbox. It was empty except for a peculiar moss-green envelope with an unfamiliar crest stamped on it.

She studied it closely. The crest was oval-shaped, with two long swords crossing each other and a small flame and then a treble clef illustrated right in the middle. Nope, not from any school she knew of. Hmmm. A secret society, maybe?

"Mom, what's this?" she questioned as she eased herself back down the breakfast table.

Mrs. Torres laid eyes on the envelope and her eyes shone with delight, but she said nothing.

Jomie shrugged. "Well, I'm leaving for school now. Bye!" She quickly downed her cup of chocolate milk (coffee was too bitter for her taste, no matter how much sugar she added into it) and hurried towards the front door.

"It's your acceptance letter!" Mrs. Torres burst out, unable to contain her excitement any longer. She beamed at Jomie earnestly.

Jomie stopped in her tracks. "Acceptance...into what?"

"That school I told you about!" her mother was beside herself with glee.

Jomie's heart sank and she sighed. She and her mother had had this conversation one too many times before. Needless to say, none of them went well. When an idealistic mother had an obstinate young lady for a daughter, quarrels between them never went well.

"I told you, mom. I don't intend to study in Japan!"

Mrs. Torres' face fell. "Why not? It's my former school. You really should learn more about your mother's heritage..."

"But I'm perfectly satisfied with my life here!"

"...not that you can argue much anyway, since you got accepted with an academic scholarship..."

Jomie frowned. Her mother never listened to her!

"If only you knew how hard it was for me to-"

"Stop it! I. Refuse." With that, the young lady unhappily stormed out of the house.

***********

"Torres," Mrs. Pettingson's voice called out after dismissal.